Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiple DDR interfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

technochrat

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I am a beginner in FPGA design.
I have come across some Xilinx FPGAs which are capable of supporting multiple Memory control Blocks (MCB).

Does it mean that I can build a system with Multiple DDR interfaces on the same FPGA for eg: A DDR,DDR2 and DDR3 on 3 different
MCBs (Provided i solve all the hardware challenges involved)

Any help is appreciated...

Thank you TrickyDicky... in the hardware Point of view is this feasible?
On How many layers of PCB can this be acheived?

In terms of physical hardware - it will all come down to how busy your board is. With several DDR interfaces I suspect its going to get quite busy.

Im no layout expert, but we have a board with Xilinx Virtex 5 and 3x DDR2 interfaces, and I think its a 14 layer board.

Woah, 14?!? There was me thinking something about 4-6 layers for a multiple DDR board. Then again, I am probably even more of a "not-a-layout-expert".

I think its the 20 video inputs and 4x DSP chips that increase the need for the layers too!

:) .. I had 12 layers in mind... dont ask me y..

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

As of now I a planning to have just DDR interfaces on the board...As many as possible.. I guess 4 will be a reasonable number...
Well the idea is still kind of evolving...so will keep you posted.

I think it really depends on the speed DDR memory will run at. If clock speed is higher than 200Mhz, then 6 layer is a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back