Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OrCAD 16.3 Selective Annotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbss

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there a way to selectively annotate a design in OrCAD 16.3? Meaning, assign a property to a placed symbol so that it doesn't get annotated, even when an unconditional annotation is performed?

For example -- most of the connectors in my design are multi-part symbols (i.e., each pin is a different symbol). The part is set up for numeric (not alpha) designation. It is also set up so that the pin number corresponds to the order in which the symbols are instantiated. When I instantiate the component, it gets assigned the lowest refdes. The pin numbers and reference designators are matched, and get assigned in the order that I bring them in. A fifty pin connector then would be something like P1-1, P1-2, ... P1-49, P1-50 -- where in each case, P1-x, the x is both the nth sub-symbol placed and the nth pin on the connector.

However, when I later annotate the design, all of the 'x' values get redefined. I.e., P1-1 could become P1-23, all down the line. This also changes the pin numbers. This is a problem when I specifically and intentionally route certain signals to corresponding pins. So far, the only way I've been able to fix this is to manually re-run all of the signals to the pins I want. This can be somewhat tedious with multiple, many-pinned connectors.

I think when you made the part you selected homogeneous. You should use the heterogeneous selection. Currently it thinks they are just a bunch of gates that are swappable. That's my guess.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back