Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which pure sinewave inverter to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superakuma

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My name is Sai and this is my first post on here. I hope I am in the right place because I am looking for some help to create something.

I am a photographer and I want to create my own battery pack for using studio lights outdoors. I want to do something like this and I got the idea from David Madden here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmadden/4591928955/

The concept sounds simple. Use a 12v battery pack and convert that into a solid 110v. He used a "Pure sine wave inverter" to do this.

The Vagabond II by Paul Buff is the standard that many people copy. But it sells for $300+S/H.
**broken link removed**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To get a better understanding of how it will be used here are some example of lights that I will be powering.

Flashpoint 620M monolight
http://www.adorama.com/FP620M.html
The power is rated at 300w/s
I will be using two of these. I will use them like a flash, no continuous light. Both of them will fire at the same time.

There are two components that I need to buy. The battery and the pure sine wave inverter.

There are a two numbers that they toss around that I am not too sure. On the battery the Vagabond II use a 20Ah battery. Some DIY kit I've seen used a lower rated Ah, like 15Ah or so, and some even higher like 50Ah or so.

Is this number the capacity of the battery itself? The higher the Ah, the more power/longer it will last?

On the pure sine inverter, it is rated by watts. Continuous and surge. My understanding is the continuous is constant draw of Xwatts and the surge is the max at peak. The higher the better. But is this the same rating as the flash's 150w/s or 300w/s?

So if I have two flash that draw 300w/s, in theory will a pure sine wave inverter rated at 600w surge powerful enough? Or do I have to get one that is rated at 600w continuous?

I am doing my research right now. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help. Sorry if this is too much of a newbie question please don't flame me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back