Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How PCB Manufacturer prepares the PCB layer stack up and determines the values?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennythomas

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I sent my previous queries regarding the PCB layer stack up and thickness of core and prepreg. I got a common reply - the PCB Manufacturer will prepare the same.

How can the PCB Manufacturer prepare the PCB Layer stack up and determine the value of thickness of core and prepreg?

Is the forum for the PCB Manufacturer available?

I ask this bcoz I am planning to get a job in a PCB Manufacturing company. The interviewer MAY ASK me how to prepare the PCB Layer stack up and determine the value of thickness of core and prepreg?

Please guide me.

Thanks in advance.

PCB Manufacturer

common practice is PCB designer will suggest a layer stack up.but in most of the cases it will not be acceptable for fabricator.Fabricator will have some possible Core and prepeg thickness .
Some formula is there which relates characteristic impedence,distance from ground(referance) plane and trace width .here distance from referance plane is the major factor which controls the impedence.So by adjusting ( adjusting core and prepeg thickness)this you can achieve desirable impedence.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: PCB Manufacturer

Hi Nikhil,

Can u show me a formula and an example?

Thanks....

PCB Manufacturer

Just download Appcad. It's free.

Keith

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

I use appcad for calculating impedance and dielectric thickness.

From the appcad (microstrip) window, what is the significance of L (physical length of a track), as it does not affect impedance?

Can I ignore L while calculating impedance and dielectric thickness?

PCB Manufacturer

The length doesn't matter when calculating impedance. Nor does frequency. They are used when you are wanting to make a quarter wave line, for example.

Keith

Multilayer PCB consists of a layer of alternating cores and prepregs.

Please let me know whether the thicknesses of cores (alternating) / the thicknesses of prepregs (alternating) are same or mixed.

tennythomas said:
Multilayer PCB consists of a layer of alternating cores and prepregs.

Please let me know whether the thicknesses of cores (alternating) / the thicknesses of prepregs (alternating) are same or mixed.

Core build & prepreg build are the same. Core build are just partnered with 2 copper layer from top & bottom. If you cannot recommend a stack up to your manufacturer you can just put on your fabrication notes the impedance controlled lines.

example :

All 0.15 line width on top layer will be 50 ohms single line
All 0.1 line width on top layer will be 100 ohms differential line

Hope this helps.

I heard that the thicknesses of cores (alternating) and prepregs (alternating) are same or different or mixed depending on the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back