Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Unkown hardware error - a modeless dialog box(Windows error)

Status
Not open for further replies.

radu

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
unknown windows error

hi all
i've searched the net but couldnt find anything on this:
Unkown hardware error - a modeless dialog box (no error code or anything); clicking OK or Cancel will reset the PC
any takers?
radu

Re: unknown windows error

Just out of curiousity, what version of windows are you running?

It sounds like an application error trap that was poorly programmed. It doesn't sound like a windows OS error.

What program(s) were running when you got the error, and what did you do just before the error appeared?

The other possibility is a virus that is trying to call a hardware function.

no program wastsoever, the pc was idle for some time;
i did do a virus search with an online program, no viruses; i can just restore my ghost it's no biggie, but i've never gotten that error before

"Idle for some time" suggests that the fault was in one of the routines that puts WIN2K into "sleep" mode. USB and video standby modes (and the wakeup routines) have had problems in the past, depending on what drivers are loaded.

Make sure your USB and video drivers are current.

Nothing else I can think of without being at the computer to do diagnostics.

thanks for the input; i've restored my ghost; it could be a 1394 driver i have that implements the power scheme poorly, i've seen similar stuff (a reset) upon hot-plugging into the 1394 port; eh...what r u gonna do, as long as we'll have copy-pasters we'll have to live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.