Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GSM signal reception improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

suryakant

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am living in crowded area on hill top and using GSM mobile SIM. I ve problem of poor reception of mobile signal. Sometime good range(reception) is there, sometimes no range at all. Range goes on varing, So frequently call gets dropped. I tried different SIM (different service provider)

Can I design Amplifier for mobile signal (ampli-transceiver)? which could be a box kept in house? or any other solution to this problem?

Yes, you can design a LNA operating in the required band , and its output can be coupled to your GSM phones antenna to enhace reception.
Contact your service provider and check the frequency band. It will be either 900 Mhz or 1800 Mhz band. Now a days cell phone reception enhancers are available in Indian market as well. You can have a try with that....

Get a car kit, a 12volt power supply for it and enough high quality coax to put the antenna on the roof of your house.

THe "plates" that are sold to stick to windows to improve reception don't work.

GSM anh CDMA ? can you tell me what is different ?

Added after 2 minutes:

How to upgrade GSM to 3G, 4G ?

4MD said:
GSM anh CDMA ? can you tell me what is different ?

Added after 2 minutes:

How to upgrade GSM to 3G, 4G ?

GSM uses a modulation called TDMA (time division multiple access). That means that a 200kHz band will be max. shared by 8 subscriber. Down and uplink is made via two different up- and download bandss --> called FDD (frequency division duplex). During the 8 slots a subscriber only may send or receive during one slot signals.

In CDMA (UMTS, CDMA2000, TS-CDMA) many users are sharing the same band at the same time - one band for uplink and one for downlink (FDD). The modulation and demodulation is based on CDMA (code division multiple access). That means that a signal is postprocessed in such a way that only a subscriber knowing this code can demodulate the signal, while other subscriber are only "seeing" noise. Within this technique the subscribers bandwidth can be more flexible adapted for his need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back