+ Post New Thread
    Member level 5

Helped
    6 / 6
    Level

data slicer

We using FM PLL demodulator with a data slicer as FSK demodulator, my question is what is it a coherent demodulator or non-coherent demodulator?

And FSK demodulator has two another method:
    1: general band pass filter and envelope comparator
    2: match filter BPF and envelope comparator

What 's 1 and 2 coherent demodualtor or non-coherent demodulator?

My understanding is PLL demodulator and 2 is coherent demodualtor because they will align the LO phase with incoming signal, and 1 is non-coherent demodulator. But some paper give different answer.

•   AltAdvertisment

Junior Member level 3

Helped
    4 / 4
    Level

fsk pll band pass

PLL demodulation of FSK is coherent demodulation by using PLL as a carrier synchorization where as other two methods based on filter and envelope detection are non-coherent. However there is a third technique call differential detection where you do not need carrier synchronization.

•   AltAdvertisment

Junior Member level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Re: FSK demoudulator using a PLL and data slicer is cohereent ?

I am performing correlation based FSK demodulation. Do i need to do symbol synchronization . I mean to say that i am using 64 samples per symbol and after correlation i have to integrate these 64 samples. then my decission is done by comparing one sample out of 64. now if the 64 samples are not properly matched at receiver with those of transmitter then decission would be wrong. Am i right about it?

--[[ ]]--