Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with frequency output and power level of ADF 4360 PLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

edata

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
Is there anyone whom had worked with this chip?
We have serious programming problems; can't get the right frequenct output and the power level. Please contact me if you have any suggestions.

Thanks and best regards,

adf4360 problem

what exactly u see

khouly

problems with adf4360

we use ADF 4360-2 after a 100MHZ local oscillator. We can program the PLL we check it. However we suppose to get 2 GHZ at the output with a power level of -6-0 dbm and we can't get it. There is only a suppor around 2.2 GHZ with a low power level.
Thanks,

adf4360 n counter output

only a spur , not the main signal

khouly

adf4360 +programming examples

I have used this chip, It worked as designed. I did have difficulty soldering down the leadles package on my prototype. I used a 10 MHz ref. A 100MHz ref is high, are you sure the device is getting the required ref signal strength?

Are you driving it with the GUI analog provides? I have seen a minor bug in their GUI when it programs a 4106, could set certain frequencies. I would firts try all the frequencies the chip should put out to see if this GUI alos has a bug.

Better yet, why don't you get the eval board.

C

4360 lock

Hi, I have problem witch adf4360-6 too. I have 26MHz reference clock. R-counter is set to 52 (I try get R-counter output on scope and 500 is there - this i right). but I have B counter set to 287 and A counter to 0 and RF out is on 3,3V still. I think, that VCO is no running.

My goals: 1100MHz on RFoutA

This is my code:

Code:
	_delay_us(2);

// send R counter latch
	//data[0] = 0x10; data[1] = 0x00; data [2] = 0x69;
	data[0] = 0x00; data[1] = 0x00; data [2] = 0xD1;
	ADF4360_SendSettings(data);

// send control latch
	//data[0] = 0x00; data[1] = 0x21; data [2] = 0x24;	// LOCK
  	//data[0] = 0x00; data[1] = 0x21; data [2] = 0x84;	// R counter
	//data[0] = 0x00; data[1] = 0x21; data [2] = 0x44;	// N counter
	data[0] = 0x0F; data[1] = 0xE1; data [2] = 0x44;	// N counter, max I

_delay_ms(100);
	// send N counter latch
	//data[0] = 0x00; data[1] = 0x89; data [2] = 0x12;
	data[0] = 0x01; data[1] = 0x13; data [2] = 0x02;

Is there some wrong?

Thank you

adf4360 programming

Hello I have used this chip with a 10MHz reference.

Initially I had problems where it would not lock. It turned out to be that the VCO was not delivering enough power to the RF input.

Some initial things to check:
1. Does the PLL drive the Charge pump output in the correct direction when the VCO is not at the correct frequency.
2. There is a programmable test pin on this chip which will allow you to view the output from the N and R registers. This will help you determine if something is going wrong at the VCO or the XTAL reference.

If you have any large amplifiers external to the PLL circuitry, perhaps you should consider disabling them while performing these tests so they do not interfer.

How about posting your schematics

as 4360 versao portugues

I use this circuit, interval VCO, no amplifier in loop. When i make short Vtune to ground, I am not able measure any frequency, co I think, that VCO is not running. I tryed route R counter output to test pin, so I measure correct 500kHz, but When I routed N counter output to test pi, no waveforms been there.

4360 pll

All I can recommend is that you
1. Go over the datasheets again.
2. Place a logic analyzer on the pins of the PLL and confirm that you are programming the thing correctly.
3. Open circuit the loop filter at the Vtune pin and connect a variable resistor. Vary the tuning voltage of the VCO. Determine if the VCO is then producing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back