Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the Best Linux For EDA tools ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
for EDA vendor like synopsys and cadence, their base linux platform is RH7.2 and they tested on it. however running on newer version of rh like 8.0 (thta what i am using now) seems ok. for rh 9.0, u need to use some older version of the lib in order to run. as for other linux package, it does not stated it supported it but there are ppl successfully run on it.

if u do not want to spend time patching up the linux in order to run the s/w, i suggest u go for rh7.2 or rh7.3 or rh8.0

I know for some products of synopsys, the main linux plat is RH7.1, and most is RH7.2
and some tools(like HSPICE) is said to tested on RH6.2 RH7.0 RH7.1 RH7.2 all and with no much accuracy problem.

for me RH 7.2 was buggy so i changed to RH 7.3

And everything is working great :)

Slackware 's drawing speed is truely fast

RedHat 7.2, 7.3, and 8.0 is OK for EDA TOOLS like, DC, LDV, and Verdi.
But there are some problem in RH9.0

redhat 7.3

Well, As far as I know, RedHat is the most popular, still if u are prettending to do some hard, big, crtical resource eater, you should think on a distro that lets you modifi everything in a easier way.

Still RedHat uses SystemV as default to boot, and SystemV Isn't supposed to be modfied by hand.
I would prefer a BSD boot system that Is intendet to be intuitive to be modfied by hand.

I should chose Slackware, for that, well maybe Slackware wont do anything for you, you will need(I LIKE) to do almost everything by hand, so If you can get the sources, you can make it run.

In performance, well, Youcan make it run, In the way U like.

It's a matter of taste... I you know hot to compile a source, you probably could run any program on any distro, the problem goes with the propietary programs.

I agree to deepspawn's thout.
But I think it is difficult thing that use make a kernel and compile any sources..
I use redhat advanced server 2.1.
I think it is very wonderful, synopsys support officially AS 2.1 and I use follows:

ALDEC Riviera
Cadence LDV 5.0/FE
Novas DEBUSSY
Synopsys : Cocentric/DC/PT/VERA/VCS...
And so on...

Maybe everyone should keep and eye on SuSE, seems that they may be in a good possition in very near future if the SCO attack goes forward.
Couple of good ref to article on the accquisition of SuSE by Novell and implications:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

each vendor recommends a specific version of Linux for their tools and normally they r redhat releases and there is no guarantee to work on other distros; it is mainly due to lack of some backwards compatiblity or libraries in linux distros which can be resolved if there is an experienced linux admin.
usually redhat 7.2 is recommended for cad tools, due to mature OS but i has several critical bugs which is not accepted in industry at all, though there are seveal bug fixes an enhancements available to download freely and update the os without upgrading to release 8 or 9.
they can be found here:
http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh72-errata-bugfixes.html

of course it is a free version of linux and a free stuff is not the best!
for criical applications which requires very long up time and therefore very stable OS, redhat released enterprise linux which the most complete and feature rich of them is AS (advanced server).
packages of the AS 2.1 is the same as redhat 7.2 like Xfree86, KDE and so on; the most differnence between them is several bug fixes applied in AS 2.1 which makes it very stable suitable for critical designs.

due to a minor upgrade in kernel (2.4.9-e3 in AS 2.1 and 2.4.7-10 in 7.2) the tools must be tested for funtionality; synopsys have tested their tools on AS 2.1 and passed all of tests. other tools from cadence does not show any problem on it also.

i think users want switch to redhat 8 or 9 or mandrake for their new hardwares or better look and feel (specially newbies!) though for experienced designers the most important problem is stability which can be found in AS 2.1 not free and new releases of linux!!!

BEST!

for me it redhat 7.3

I have worked With all the red hat versions (7.1 , 7.2, 7.3) :twisted: , And I don't see any problem with any,

But If you are trying to compile a package (say a library) which was developed on 7.1 on a system >=7.2, You may face some re-decleration problem, But that can be solved without much problem

Redhat 7.2 is best for me.
I have used for one year

rh8,
but eda cos recommend rh7.3

$ynop$y$ complience list now include Redhat 8.0 and Enterprise server AS2.3. I recently upgrade from 7.3 to 8.0 and upgrade kernel from 2.4.18 to 2.4.20 through RHN. Everything running smooth so far :D

Status
Not open for further replies.