Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Received Level in terms of mobile signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifegood

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mobile with received level

Why does high-rise buildings require better RxLevel, in terms of mobile signal?
e.g.
RxLevel for 2G High-rise buildings >= -70dBm.
RxLevel for 2G Low-rise buildings >= -80dBm.

How do we explain the above?

When you are in high building you are more exposed to interference, because there are less obstructions to other BTS, and the way to compensate the increase of interference is to achieve a higher RXlevel in the serving cell. The problem in this case is typically the RXqual and not the RXlevel. To increase the quality you must assure that you have C/I > 10 db. Sometimes the only way to achieve this threshold is to install an indoor coverage solution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you are in high building you are more exposed to interference, because there are less obstructions to other BTS, and the way to compensate the increase of interference is to achieve a higher RXlevel in the serving cell. The problem in this case is typically the RXqual and not the RXlevel. To increase the quality you must assure that you have C/I > 10 db. Sometimes the only way to achieve this threshold is to install an indoor coverage solution.

I guess receivers at tall buildings will have greater received power than those at the small buildings. This is the intuition behind two ray model which says received power increases with the height of the transmtter ansd receiver. Can you clarify the question and explain the context. Because the previous answer seems misleading.

If you are speaking of RXlevel requirement, the -70db should refer to the outdoor coverage requirement for dense urban areas where buildings are typically high rise and present an average penetration loss of about 30db. Therefore, the RXlevel inside the building will on the average be about -95db, ensuring acceptable signal quality. The same explanation goes for the -80db (urban area: where penetration loss is approx 20 db)

These RX levels, together with coverage probability assumptions are the basic parameters used in BTS network design, specifically in predicting the cell coverage sizes for various geographical conditions.

i hope the above explanation proves useful.

b.r.

Status
Not open for further replies.