Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to simulate a microstrip antenna array

Status
Not open for further replies.
array antenna ads

whtu said:
Hi,
You guys say that one can simulate single antenna element, and then claculate array pattern in either IE3D or CST. I have a question. Do these software account for mutual coupling effect between elements, or they just mutiply single element pattern by array factor? Thx.

They can do both.

You should consider whether you can accept an inifinite substrate assumption, though. Unshielded Method of Moment (MoM) codes like IE3D and Momentum assume that your substrate (and ground plane) go to infinity.

A full 3D EM Time Domain code, like CST or XFDTD are probably the best full 3D approach to these due to their low memory usage and ability to model non-planar strutures nearby or modeling the edge effects of your substrates. If you are trying to keep your patch substrate as small as possible for practical design considerations, you probably should at least consider the effects of your finite ground plane and finite substrate, and you can't really do this with IE3D or other planar EM tool.

I think that for initial design work, it is good to work with a planar EM tool. Then, when you are considering your real-world packaging, you should probably switch to a full 3D time domain tool like CST or XFDTD.

--Max

empicasso antenna download

hfss is very cool

em microstip array

i think that I3d is suitable.

ads microstrip antenna

will you just have antennas and a feed network? or will you have other structures. describe what you want.

ads simulation for antenna arrays

As said it depends on what you want to simulate, a good and easy to use choice is CST MWS, it is preferable for planar arrays. For a 3D array HFSS is more suitable i believe but is slower than CST

microsrtip array in cst microwave studio

Go with Momentum ( Agilent) for fast simulation

simulating antenna arrays

You can use momentum in ADS for the simulation.

draw feed microstrip array momentum

in my case, I used ADS 2008 which integrates EMDS and Momentum to simulate antennas. However, it seems that ADS doesn't support for array antenna simulation with different separated phases.
If your design just uses one stimulate input for array antenna, ADS is very fast.

array factor microstrip antenna

mikekan said:
in my case, I used ADS 2008 which integrates EMDS and Momentum to simulate antennas. However, it seems that ADS doesn't support for array antenna simulation with different separated phases.
If your design just uses one stimulate input for array antenna, ADS is very fast.

I think you can define the phase and amplitude of any port separately. Do you mean this? The phase and amplitude of each port is defined separately, therefore you can put the desired phase and scan your pattern.

the best and easy simulator for microstrip antenna array is IE3D

I have designed an antenna array (dual band Cband-32 element, X-band 256 element) using momentum. It is possible to assign different phase and amplitude to elements

hi

Added after 3 seconds:

hi

Added after 3 minutes:

hi to all
how i can simulate array microstrip antenna using ansoft HFSS

well done anil_21p, seems I've just found somebody who really could deal ADS. I have some questions which I wish you would help me to answer!

Thanx

hello anil_21p, could you please show us how did you manage that?

Hi Rodeoman,

I am attaching complete project for your refrence . Let me know if you need any other detail on this.

Use HFSS , it uses finite element method full wave analysis

Howdy anil21_p,
Thanks alot for the kindness dear friend, I'd certainly need your help. Please visit my topic on "USING MOMENTUM TO CALCULATE SELF & MUTUAL INDUCTANCES" at:

I'm suppose to design MRI RF Surface coil array for 9.7 T, resonant frequency =400 MHz.
I tried a commercial FDTD-software, no need to mention the name in public, but it has been a piece of crap, and never delivered reasonable values either for inductance, S-matrix, or Z-matrix. I supposed to do conformal coils actually, but even with planar ones, it took me ages to deliver such a junk of results.
A friend of mine, recommended ADS Momentum as reliable tool. I've tried using it to do matching and tuning for parallel resonant circuit, and been real happy with the results, it took even me less than 5 minutes to do that.
What I need to know, how to calculate the AC self-inductance of say a square standard loop which has : side=20 mm, thickness of the strip= 35 µm, and its width =1mm.
Then once I have more than one loop, how to calculate the mutual inducatance, in order to decouple them later on.
Is it possible within Momentum to include capictors for tuning and matching the described RF coil, and how?
For an expert in ADS, like yourself, my questions must be trivial and naive, but what should I do if I no one wide and far to assist me?
Many thanks again for the kindness!
Regards
Rodeoman

Added after 2 minutes:

Howdy anil21_p,
Thanks alot for the kindness dear friend, I'd certainly need your help. Please visit my topic on "USING MOMENTUM TO CALCULATE SELF & MUTUAL INDUCTANCES" at:

I'm suppose to design MRI RF Surface coil array for 9.7 T, resonant frequency =400 MHz.
I tried a commercial FDTD-software, no need to mention the name in public, but it has been a piece of crap, and never delivered reasonable values either for inductance, S-matrix, or Z-matrix. I supposed to do conformal coils actually, but even with planar ones, it took me ages to deliver such a junk of results.
A friend of mine, recommended ADS Momentum as reliable tool. I've tried using it to do matching and tuning for parallel resonant circuit, and been real happy with the results, it took even me less than 5 minutes to do that.
What I need to know, how to calculate the AC self-inductance of say a square standard loop which has : side=20 mm, thickness of the strip= 35 µm, and its width =1mm.
Then once I have more than one loop, how to calculate the mutual inducatance, in order to decouple them later on.
Is it possible within Momentum to include capictors for tuning and matching the described RF coil, and how?
For an expert in ADS, like yourself, my questions must be trivial and naive, but what should I do if I no one wide and far to assist me?
Many thanks again for the kindness!
Regards
Rodeoman:D

yah...this is really helpful...thanks to every body

m10mn said:
mikekan said:

I think you can define the phase and amplitude of any port separately. Do you mean this? The phase and amplitude of each port is defined separately, therefore you can put the desired phase and scan your pattern.

Yes, you're right. Sorry that I didn't give enough information: in my case, I simulated array antenna with mono pulse inputs and ADS doesn't support for that. I still get stuck with this.
Anybody has some solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back