Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BCD to 7-segment IC replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

velson

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ca3162 replacement

I have a simple and dumb question: can I replace the 4511 with a 74247? The pinout seems to match and I don't see any other difference...

Sorry, except the "6" and "9" with a tail, but then again, that's why I want to replace the 4511.

bcd to seven segment decoder ic

No, you can't replace them that way directly, since 4511's output can source only while 74247's output can sink only (open collectors).

nguyennam

74247 ic

Right. Then what would be the adequate replacement, in other words - I want tails on the 6's and 9's, that's why I want to replace the 4511. Is there a possibility or do I have to redesign the circuit?

velson

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
bcd to 7 segment ic

Thanks, on1aag! I think it will do fine. I'll just saw off the part I won't use :)

ca3162 replacment

Hi velson, choosing which solution depending on what kind of project you are dealing with. For new design, you can freely be flexible to choose and use parts which are available on your local market. For repairing, you generally have to use the same old parts. For repairing and modifying the design, you have to consider which solution is easy for you to get parts and make as little as possible changes on the existing design.

I know you hate the way 4511 drive the display, I do either.
For new design, you can use 7424x, MC14513, or CA3162+CA3161 instead. The later gives you the best and most satisfied dislaying, however, they are expensive and hard to find.

For repairing and minor modifying, the simplest way is using 74247 and replacing the existing common cathode LED displays with the new common anode displays.
If you cannot change the displays then you have to use transistor to change over the connection polarity between 74247 and displays. Or you can use MC14513 as on1aag suggested.

nguyennam

Status
Not open for further replies.