Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why closed-loop control may cause stability problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powersys

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
One of the pros of open-loop control is it does not, by itself, cause stability problem. And one of the cons of closed-loop control may cause stability problem. Would someone pls explain why a closed-loop may cause stability problem? Thanks.

if any error somehow increases in the loop it causes oscilatons

because u know positive feedback is used to construct oscillators .... and the condition for that is that the loop gain =BA = 1 ... so total gain =A/(1-BA) = infinity so for zero input there will be output

but why should we worry about oscillation for negative feedback amplifiers :

this is because for any negative FB amplifier ... total gain = A/(1+BA)

so if the phase response ( phase of loop gain (BA) ) =-180 when the magnitude of BA is >1 .... the negative FB will turn into positive FB and oscillation takes place ....

i.e amplifier becomes unstable

that's why we must make sure that for mag(BA)>1

angle(BA) should be >-180 .... and (angle(BA)-(-180)) is called the phase margin should be >0

ahmed_nasr said:
because u know positive feedback is used to construct oscillators .... and the condition for that is that the loop gain =BA = 1 ... so total gain =A/(1-BA) = infinity so for zero input there will be output

but why should we worry about oscillation for negative feedback amplifiers :

this is because for any negative FB amplifier ... total gain = A/(1+BA)

so if the phase response ( phase of loop gain (BA) ) =-180 when the magnitude of BA is >1 .... the negative FB will turn into positive FB and oscillation takes place ....

i.e amplifier becomes unstable

that's why we must make sure that for mag(BA)>1

angle(BA) should be >-180 .... and (angle(BA)-(-180)) is called the phase margin should be >0
Thanks for your explanation... but I still don't get the points... probably due to my limited knowledge...

Hope this will answer your question :)

**broken link removed**

with the frequency change the phase of the loop will change.... so it may not give you 360 degrees phase shift, whhich is basic requirement for stabilty..

Status
Not open for further replies.