Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2c I/O expander(PCA9555) and mosfet driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzzy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI

I'm intended to use an I2C I/O expander to drive some N-Mosfet by an High side mosfet driver.
I already used this PCA955 to drive some relays through ULN2003. But when i power up my siystem PCA9555( at startup is set as Input) set at ON-State, for a moment, all relays.Untill MCU sets PCA9555 pins as Output.

My question is: do you think Mosfets will be on for a moment during startup? If it happens how can i prevent this problem?

My system is: I2C Master MCU-------> PCA9555---------> 0-5V logic mosfet driver--------> Mosfet.

Thanks a lot for helping me

Hi Fuzzzy,
I thihg that the Mosfets can be ON during startup. In the schematic picture you can see the reason. When an I/O is configured as an input, FETs Q1 and Q2 are off, creating a high impedance input with a weak pull-up 100k to VDD. One solution of this problem is connect resistor betwen Gate Mosfet and VSS.

JURS

Thanks for your suggestion.

I was thinking a similar solution but i would have a certainty. something under 10Kohm would fit. what do you think??

by the way should I use also a resistor in series between PCA9555 and mosfet driver input? where do you suggest me to put it? before or after pull-down resistor?

Resistor 10KOhm or lower will be good, it is only inportant don't cross Vgs Gate Threshold Voltage. . My opinion is that you needn't use the resistor in series between PCA and mosfet.

JURS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back