Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Progammble AC-DC Power Supplies ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnivesh

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
1. Can anybody please help me find a "Programmable AC to DC Swith Mode Power Supply" ?

Basically, I've been looking for a variable AC-DC SMPS ( capable of supplying 3,5,9,12 volts DC etc. from AC supply in UK and atleast 2 amps maximum current output capacity).

2. Is there any micro-controller controlled AC-DC SMPS out there, with keypad and LCD to change the output voltage by pressing keys only. Please provide ideas, schematics and IC part numbers for any similar design.

thanks.

You can build programmable AC-DC power supply by yourself ..
For your safety, I think you should use 230V-15V/2A step-down transformer ..
As adjustable voltage regulator you can use LM2576 ..
As the "brain" of the whole circuit you may consider PICAXE-18X - it has everything you need:
-10-bit A/D ..
-10-bit PWM (as DAC) ..
-Enough general purpose Inputs for 4x3 keypad ..
-Can be easily interfaced to LCD display ( **broken link removed** ) ..
-No special programmer required - you can connect it directly to your PC's serial port ..
SEARCH this FORUM or GOOGLE for PICAXE - it was actually invented and is distributed in the UK ..

Regards,
IanP

agnivesh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

1. Further, could you please suggest any AC to DC step down IC, if exists. Is there any very light weight (IC instead of bulky transformers) option for stepping down mains AC to DC (unregulated), which could then be fed to next stage IC to get desired regulated DC ?

I'm sure that, such IC or circuits do exist, as I've seen a very light weight (less than 100gm), SMPS which had a mechanical switch to get different regulated DC outputs.

2. Any IC which could control both output DC current and and regulated voltage via micro-controller, thus providing programmable regulated DC voltage and current ?

3. Regarding the PICAXE, I've the hardware/software to program PIC's and AVR's using C. The main problem for me is to find the hardware (IC's etc.) for my programmable power supply.

thanks

As "unregulated" 24Vdc power source you can use any off-the-shelf power adapter .. see picture below ..
For 12V/2A output you will need 24V/≈1A unregulated power ..

The LM2576-ADJ is not programable but you can make it programable by using in its feedback instead of normal resistor a digital potentiometer ..
See:

Regards,
IanP

i designed the Digitally control the power supply

in which LCD 16x2 used the PWM technique is used to stabilized the voltage it can control from 1v to 50 volt

if any qurey feel free request to help

Status
Not open for further replies.