Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adaptive nulling LF antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biff44

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Anyone have any good ideas/write ups about an adaptive nulling antenna array (2 or more antennas) for the reception of AM broadcast band radio programming. I am trying to receive a distant AM station (1470 KHz) with a strong interferor that is close by, on the same frequency, but luckilly approximately 90 degrees different azimuth from the one I am trying to receive.

You can probably use a loop antenna and put the unwanted one in the null.

Yeah, I am going to try that with a big honkin' loop, and try to rotate it just right. But it seems like if I had say 4 ferrite antennas spaced ~ 50 feet apart, I could let a computer automatically keep a null on the nearby antenna, by adjusting the phase and amlitude of each antenna going into a summing junction. I just am not too sure how to do the algorithms.

It is hard to detect a null, and you only have to be a fraction of a degree off to lose some of the nulling. I was looking for a way to find the null and adjust the coefficients with some algorithm. In that case, I probably would need a digital algorithm to adjust the 4 amplitude and phases.

One idea I was pondering: I know that the Rubidium atomic clock people find a null by looking at the derivative of the transmitted light power as the frequency is dithered.

An alternative might be to use the big single loop antenna, but have a feedback control on the mechanical rotation so that you can find and maintain the null. Here I would only have to detect one null and control one parameter--the rotation angle, probably with some sort of analog control loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back