Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Information about serializer design

Status
Not open for further replies.

amic

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Serializer

I am new to the serialiser concept and would like to understand the design of serializer and the VCO that acts as clock generator for the same.
Can anybody suggest some good starting point reading material ?

thanks a lot.

Serializer

Could anybody explain what exactly is LVDS? what is its function in a serializer ?

LVDS??

LVDS (Low Voltage Differential Signaling)
See
**broken link removed**
There is a lot of application information

Serializer

low voltage diffrential signalling ,,,, used in serdes to provide the high speed serial (bit by bit ) data transmission.
it is just a logic standard used for the o/p and i/p buffers in SerDes .
for SerDes appilcation i highly recommend :
OC-192 Transmitter and Receiver in Standard
0.18-um CMOS by Braodcom
and the OC-48 version too.
A Fully Integrated SONET OC-48 Transceiver in
Standard CMOS by broadcom

Added after 29 seconds:

btw if u want them just goolge , u will find them easily

Re: Serializer

amic said:
Could anybody explain what exactly is LVDS? what is its function in a serializer ?

A serializer..takes 4,8,16...parallel signals, multiplexes them and sends them as a serial stream of data 4x, 8x .. the speed of the original parallel data streams

Serializer

There are good tutorials on lvds and serializer app notes on national's website.

That was helpful, thanx. While running some sims on the 16bit serializer ( 4Gbps output) I realised that temperatures have got deleterious effects on the circuit. I get all the bits serialized at 27 degC but when i run the sims at 65 degC , I loose 8 bits out of 16. process on the other hand changes almost nothing. Any idea what is causing such huge temperature variations ??

thanks
Sachin

safwatonline said:
low voltage diffrential signalling ,,,, used in serdes to provide the high speed serial (bit by bit ) data transmission.
0.18-um CMOS by Braodcom

Added after 29 seconds:

palleral to serial

Try to resize your FFs , measured the setup & hold time for each
Characterizing the DFF is really an imporatnt setup in serializer & deserializer design
I hope I came to the point
best regards,
Rania

amic said:
That was helpful, thanx. While running some sims on the 16bit serializer ( 4Gbps output) I realised that temperatures have got deleterious effects on the circuit. I get all the bits serialized at 27 degC but when i run the sims at 65 degC , I loose 8 bits out of 16. process on the other hand changes almost nothing. Any idea what is causing such huge temperature variations ??

thanks
Sachin

safwatonline said:
0.18-um CMOS by Braodcom

Added after 29 seconds:

Serializer

Hi all,

I hope that this book helps you.
**broken link removed**

@ amic
What tools you use to simulate your serdes ? And How you realised that temperatures have got deleterious effects on the circuit ?

Serializer is not as simple as you think since bit stuffing tecchnique must be implemented inside the asynchonous serializers.
Rgs,

Serializer

I think razavi's book will be helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.