Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hardware (FAN) monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basil

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I want to use the standard PC motherboard hardware monitor features (temperature and fan speed) to monitor a board I´ve designed. I need to know how the interfase is; i.e. what electrical signals the motherboard expects.

Hi,

Many motherboards have an SMBUS header - that's what they use for the sensors. If that's what you have, take a look here for some starters:

**broken link removed**
http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Smbus.html

It is based on the i2c bus, so is quite easy to interface to.

However, if you don't have that, then you need to use a fan tachometer input from a fan connector on the motherboard, and a thermistor input (these are rare now on motherboards) for the temperature. If that's the case, then search on the fan tachometer signal - it's easy but I can't remember the exact details. It's been discussed before.

If you can get away with just monitoring your fan, just use one with a three-wire connector and connect the tachometer wire to a spare fan header on the motherboard.

If you need more info, let us know exactly what motherboard you have.

FoxyRick.

Basil

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back