Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

basic SMD package question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugen_E

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Because I can't solder SMD parts with many pins, I want to use sockets for ICs.

What kind of SMD-like packages are suited for socket usage, if there are any.
I'm reffering to quad pin packages like PLCC, TQPF, are these suited for socket usage and how the socket is soldered on the board: on surface or THT.

don't u have to solder the socket's pins? i'm guessing the socket's pins r as small as the pins on the chip.

You don't want to do that, unless you are ready to pay extra. PLCC sockets are available, but some of them are also SMD and most of the times even more difficult to solder than the chip itself (pins on the inside, difficult to get a clear solder with regular soldering station, better use hot air). There are sockets for TQFP, SO, etc, but I've seen only zif sockets, for testing/programming purposes, and they cost a fortune. Search for 438558 at at uk.farnell.com if you want to see a 300GBP socket.

/pisoiu

I agree, try to avoid th sockets, soldering small parts is easy to do, if you have the right tools.

I'm using a weller WSD81 with micro tip (or hollow)
-make sure your pcb is tinplated
-use flux (paste)
-and it REALY helps if you use a microscope and a light.
-Futher, tweezers, scalpel
-Just place your part on your tinplated board, with some flux between the pcb and part. Just move your iron over each part no extra tin needed.
verify your art under the microscope for poor connections.

i've placed parts with 216 pins (LQFP) this way, no errors.

good luck..

PLCC sockets do also come in a PTH BGA arrangement, where you can easily solder them into a board.
I'd suggest having a good search for the sockets.

Thanks to all of you.
I think I have to find a SMD soldering tutorial, proper materials and start with few pins parts to get some experience.
I was scared about the idea of soldering parts with many pins because I make my PCBs at home and soldering on those is quite hard.
I will try to order professional made PCBs, and use a good solderind iron.
Also I want to ask you about the price of a cheap hot air pen, and if I can use anything else to replace it.

Most of the sockets I find on digikey are fine for soldering on a standard punch board with 0.1 inch holes (through hole). I would think this would be easier to solder by hand than the chip directly.

Here's a picture
**broken link removed**

I generally use sockets on all my ic's so I can ensure I haven't damaged the chip with heat. Since I have no special equipment, this works best for me.

Eugen_E

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back