Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Game Boy Micro SMD Fuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

double-decca

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need some advice, I have a Game Boy Micro to repair, with has no power from the battery or charger.

I am told the battery is new and fully charged, the charger is fully working texted on another similiar console.

On examing the console PCB there is an SMD Fuse F1 that has blown.

I am trying to extablish the type of Fuse which has markings 33

See attached photograph

The battery details are: 3.8v 460mAh
The charger details are 5.2v 320mA

I thought the 33 on the fuse was 330mA, but that would mean the battery is too big.

I would appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• GBM_F1_Fuse.jpg
    GBM_F1_Fuse.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 447

Hi,

this looks like an ordinary 33 Ohm SMD resistor to me. Have you tried to measuer its resistannce with a multimeter?

BR
Hi BR,

You are quite correct, the component does look like a SMD 33 Ohm Resistor.

I checked the Internet for photographs of the Game Boy Micro PCB, which shows the picture attached below.

The correct component should be an SMD Fuse, so it appears that someone has replaced the Fuse with a 33 Ohm Resistor.

The Fuse is there to protect the battery from over charging from the Charging circuit.

I checked the 33 Ohm Resisitor for continuity and there is no continuity through the resistor, so it lokk like the resistor has blown. Which may of caused damage else where.

Attachments

• gb30.jpg
    gb30.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 261

Hi,

I do not see the actual size relation, but it looks like a 0603 package size. An 0603 package has a typical power rating of 0.1 W which corresponds to a current of 55 mA (\[\sqrt{\frac{0.1 W}{ 33 \Omega}}\]). You migth start with this value. When using a fast acting fuse, I would expect a larger current rating, as the initial currents when turning on the device migth be higher (a resistor can not be considered as fast acting fuse). The letter "G" is not really useful as different manufacturer use "G" for different current ratings, see the two links below

https://m.littelfuse.com/~/media/electronics/datasheets/fuses/littelfuse_fuse_467_datasheet.pdf.pdf
https://www.mouser.com/Search/Downl...er.com/datasheet/2/54/sf_0603fp_m-1313712.pdf

BR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back