Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Explain to me what does large signal mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taskuraha

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
large signal?

What does mean "large signal"? Sedras-microelectronic circuits use large signals representation as it consist dc and ac but ken martisn and greys book large signal means means only dc.... Could you explain?

large signal?

Ground is no signal IE 0 volts or 0 amps so the scale starts there, the further to the left of the decimal you go (whole numbers) the 'larger' the signal is, the further to the right you go (fractional numbers) the 'smaller' the signal is. AC or DC is irrelevent.

Re: large signal?

What is the quantity of "large signal " ? How large will be called a "large signal" ?

I think that small signal is when you work arround the polarization point, and transistor's model can be considered as linear. Large signal is when that linear model start to be incorrect, and is far from real behaviour.

large signal: you look at the DC behaviour of your element, when your currents and voltages vary over the whole ( in general nonlinear) range.
large signal is static behaviour. if you have only a DC-V-I-plot of a diode you cant say how long does it take if you switch it from 1V to -1V to get the stationary state.
small signal: you make taylor expansion and use small signals, for using linear systems theory. of course you make an error but the smaller the signales the smaller the error; error is of order 2; i think you cant say in general how large small signal has to be; it always depends on the element you have; if you for example have hard linearities you cant even linearize.
Of course you can also develop a nonlinear model of your element and use nonlinear systems theory but its in general very hard to model nonlinear dynamics. then you would really have a "large signal dynamic model"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back