Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bus synchronization when transferring data from one clock domain to another domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

omid219

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to transfer the data from one clock domain to another domain. Do I need to put dual synchronizer FF for all data bus and control lines or I just have to do synchronization for handshake signals?

Regards

Re: bus synchronization

Just for data_enable signals - signals that tell destination domain that data is valid. Also, make sure that data bus signals don't change at all when data_enable signal is valid.

>> put dual synchronizer FF for all data bus and control lines
or
>> do synchronization for handshake signals?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

For bus signals cross clock domains, you SHOULD NOT use synchronizers for all data bus & control signals.

Synchronizer only works for signle bit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So just pass bus signals through a well-defined handshake protocol or a FIFO.

Hi,

Generally I use FIFO with two port for each clock domain
ask me if you need help

Best regards

Can you all please post some documentation on the synchronization? Or suggest some links which we can study?

this article may be helpful

Hey,

Use Handshaking mechanism if there are control signals and if the clock is of same frequency, else use a FIFO if the frequency difference of the two clocks is very large.

bye
regards
Raghu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back