Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

calibrating a temperature sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwordFish

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I calibrate a temperature sensor ?
It's a tool for sensor calibration?
The calibration can be done using a oil bath ?
The calibration can be made only by comparing the results with a "ideal" sensor ?
How is that sensor calibrated ?

Maybe you have some links, tutorials, manufacturiers...
Any informations/comments are welcomed.

Regards,
SwordFish

The easy way to do it quite accurate is to use a bath of melting ice for 0 deg. and boiling water for 100 deg. This is of course asuming that you are at sea level.

/Froggy

indeed the melting ice temp is 0C but this is at physical level.
Because of the distance between ice cubes and the sensor the error can be quite large...few degrees.
My intention is to obtain a very precise calibration , something like 0.1C.

Another issue that you must keep in mind, is that water boils at lower tepmeratures with rise of elevation above sea level. For example at 500 m above sea level, water boils at the 96.7 degree celsius.

you are right.
also this is depending on the see level.
It is strange that the sea level is not the same on the Earth. So what is to do ?

As far as I know difrencies are small - less than 1 meter. In most practical casses you don't calibrate your device exactly on sea level. In adition there is a waves :). I live very close to the sea, terein is even but actual elevation of my home and my workdesk respectevly is about 3-4 meters. It is not so important because most temperature sensors have precision at least 0.1 degree celsius.

In ultimate case, if You want to use such aproach you must use barochamber :D

If you need that precis calibration, why not just rent a calibrated meter and use that as a reference?

and btw at least the melting ice can be very exact at sea level if you keep the mixture of water and ice in a insulated bottle, and wait 30-60 minutes to stabilize after you insert the probe. Boiling water is more difficult

/Froggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back