Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensor for detecting a metal sleeve in proximity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

userx2

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

As part of a new project, I need to detect a short 1" metal sleeve on a rubber water filled hose coming past.

The OD of the sleeve will be about the same as the OD of the hose and that is around 12mm / 1/2".
The sleeve is likely going to be stainless (rust issues) and the wall thickness is thin. Possibly around 0.8mm / 30mils.
I am not 100% sure yet what the mechanical guys are going to land on for that. The OD of the sleeve.

The hose and sleeve travel past the sensor within about 6.5mm / 1/4"

So the question is how to detect this reliably.

IR proximity seems to have issues with the signal not being very different form hose to metal.
Optical? I have concerns about this when the sleeve or hose becomes dirty and the reflection changes.

Hall effect? I don't think it can detect stainless. It will also need a biasing magnet somewhere. I am not sure.

Perhaps someone here has an idea of how to best detect this?

Best regards
X

I just looked at some industrial induction sensors but they are quite expensive and seem to require 10-30V DC.
I only have 4-5V DC available and not much more than 20mA of average current . I guess I can pulse the sensor to save power.
I like the hall effect idea with the magnetic bias but so far I have not found a sensor like this yet in component form.

Hi,

Go for an inductive sensor.
There are so many different types around that it's likely to find a 5V supplied one.
Also look for low power and/or fast power_on timing.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back