Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] BLE v5 dongle isn't working on Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

my_abousamra

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Recently, I got this BLE v5 dongle , I plugged it to an ubuntu machine and started to check it using these commands

$ sudo hciconfig -a
No output

$ sudo hcitool dev
Devices:

$ sudo hcitool lescan
Could not open device: No such device

But linux can see it from

$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 10c4:ea80 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x UART Bridge

and created a file for it /dev/hidraw0

In the dongle specs they say (Enumerated as generic HID device. No driver required for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10, Mac OSX, Linux) so i think it should work directly. So, why bluez tools can't deal with it? And can I use it as a normal BLE dongle to scan and connect to other devices?

OS is ubuntu 16.04.06

and

$ uname -a
Linux breeze 4.15.0-74-generic #83~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 18 04:56:23 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks!

The advert says it will not enumerate in HID mode, perhaps that is the problem. You might have to 're-flash' it with more suitable code for your application.

If lsusb shows it as a CP210x device it means the UART part of it is recognized by Ubuntu, it might be worth checking with a serial comms program to see if it appears as a serial port instead of Blutooth interface.

Brian.

It's supposed to be used as a usual BLE dongle to connect to other devices not for development. I think it was not a suitable choice at the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.