Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v DC proximity detector for use on truck (2-3 feet range)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pityocamptes

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello. Well after the 3rd time getting hit at work, this last time was major damage... of course no one said anything. I suspect that the issue is parking. The parking lot is a crappy design. Anyways, I built a bull bar for the rear bumper (its a truck) but I need some type of proximity device that will cover the sides. Especially the rear quarter panel of the truck bed. I would like a circuit that activates the truck horn when it detects an object within 3 feet. (I wonder if there is anyway to discriminate from people walking by?). Any ideas on a circuit? Thanks!

Ask google/audi/mercedes/bmw/toyota/etc for help. They've spent billions on trying to determine if an object is a ball, cat, dog, human, car, truck, etc. I might be wrong but there is probably no way to discriminate with any significant precision between a car and any other largish object getting near your truck on a normal person's budget.

I would suggest you use the normal shock/vibration detector that is already used in car alarms to turn on a camera and get photo proof of the incident, which you can then use to get the as***le to fess up and pay for fixing your vehicle. If confronting them isn't your style you can go all passive aggressive and put the photo proof on a "wall of shame" posting the incident in the break room for all employees to see.

BTW I'm assuming you aren't parking some huge crew cab truck in a economy car space.

No crew cab. Im trying to find something preventative.

Discriminating what is about to hit is very difficult but if you can live with just a short range proximity sensor, look for ultrasonic devices. They are the things usually used to beep when you get too close to something while reversing but you can fit them anywhere. Search for "HC-SR04", you need some extra bits but they are very inexpensive. Note that they are not weatherproof as supplied and you need to keep them dry.

Brian.

Discriminating what is about to hit is very difficult but if you can live with just a short range proximity sensor, look for ultrasonic devices. They are the things usually used to beep when you get too close to something while reversing but you can fit them anywhere. Search for "HC-SR04", you need some extra bits but they are very inexpensive. Note that they are not weatherproof as supplied and you need to keep them dry.

Brian.

Awsome...

1) ultrasonic sensor
2) Arduino + sw
3) camera

Sensor catches something getting close to your vehicle, Arduino SW detects this condition and triggers the camera to record, when they hit your truck, keep recording, when they get out of their vehicle to check for damage to their vehicle, keep recording, when they ignore the damage to your vehicle and drive off without a care in the world, keep recording (you might catch the license plate number).

BTW, don't get mad after watching all that and break your camera ;-)

Hi,

I don't seem to get the story. Are you saying that your truck gets hit while it is parked in the parking lot? Is that your concern?

Hi,

I don't seem to get the story. Are you saying that your truck gets hit while it is parked in the parking lot? Is that your concern?

That's what I gather from the OP's first post.

Besides I work in a location with a crappy parking lot design that has a choke point in the lot that has straight in parking on both sides where if people park with the a compact sized vehicles on one side and a mid-sized sedan on the other, only one car can safely pass through, two cars can't as the space is too narrow....Inevitably full size trucks, SUVs, and full sized sedans are always parked in those spots (including in sub-compact spots), which makes driving through the gap similar to threading a needle.

Status
Not open for further replies.