Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] MAX232 is getting hot when connected to USB to UART converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD_SHAHRUKH

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
I have been using USB to UART converter for a long. But ever since I use the converter using the converter it gets heat up. I generally occur when I connect the Microcontroller board with USB to UART converter with PC. I noticed one thing that when I do not plug in power to microcontroller board and connect the USB to UART converter when connected to PC and then power the board the MAX232 of both the side gets heat up(i.e. board MAX232 and USB to UART MAX232). I am unable to get why this happening all the time. I am using 104pF ceramic capacitor in board MAX232.
Please give me some suggestion to figure out why it is happening.
Thank you.

Hi,

Show your complete circuit from USB to microcontroller, with supplies, show where you measured voltages and currents.
You know "heat" is power, electrical power, and electrical power is V x I, thus you should measure V and I.

Every IC comes with a datasheet, it tells you at which pin you may expect which voltage and current.
Do the measurements and compare them with the datasheet.

Additionally: "heated up MAX232" have been discussed several times in thus forum. Read through the discussions.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.