Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Klystron output voltage, cavity field strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvador12

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I am reading about klystrons for some time, Now I understand the bunching and velocity modulation due to the E field between the cavity plates where the electrons pass through the hole in the middle,

here is the thing that I think i'm still missing,
so the electrons come out of a electron gun and are accelerated by a large DC potential , say 450kV for example, the beam itself has a current of say 450A. Now as this current passes the first cavity some parts of the beam feel an opposing E field while some feel an accelerating one, now the electrons as they travel along the drift tube bunch up as these bunches travel through the output cavity they induce E fields between the cavity plates , which I assume are strong , probably on the order of kV/cm, then further I assume that this E field charges up the cavity plates and as they charge and discharge through the cavity torus it creates a current in the torus which sets up a toroidal shaped B field within the torus,

1)so the coax or waveguide output is taken from a single loop located within the torus structure , does this mean that the output from a klystron is coupled via the B field inside the torus?

2)Also are there any estimates as to how strong this toroidal B field is for a given klystron?

3)And another question, I read on some papers that the E field at the output cavity windows (where waveguide is attached) can reach strengths up to say 60MV/cm, I cannot understand how can one have such a strong E field given the klystron beam accelerating voltage is 610kV?
https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1110653

see page 17

Can anybody say anything with regards to my post ?
thanks.

This is such a specialized field that I doubt may people would have experience to share. You are probably more likely to get answers by contacting a Klystron manufacturer. 75 Megawatts is a LOT of power, I've used Klystrons but only low power ones ~5W as CW generators and that was about 40 years ago so my recollections are fuzzy to say the least.

I think the answer to question 1 is yes, that is exactly how the coupling probe works but I'm afraid I can't help with your other questions.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back