Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UART WiFi Modules for Temperature Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am looking for a suitable UART WiFi module which I can interface with micro controller on one side, and on the other side I need to connect it to computer through a counter part module. The application board has temperature sensor readout electronics with micro controller sending data every 10 second through UART.

I have looked into RN1810 and RN4870_71. Are there some other smaller and simpler modules/chips which can fulfill the described requirement ?

Hi,

I must assume you did not do an internet search. Please do this first.
There will be a lot of hits. Do a pre-selection, then refine your requirement / questions.

on the other side I need to connect it to computer through a counter part module.
Do an internet search about: "WIFI", "WLAN", "802.11"
Any WLAN-router / wirelss access point should do the job.

What about Bluetooth?

Klaus

UART Bluetooth modules also fine. Is it simpler to configure compared with UART WiFi ?

Hi,

most of the BT modules don't need to be configured at all.

Klaus

Hi,

I guess I should try RN4871. The micro controller I am using is 16F88 by microchip which is powered up by 5 V. The Tx and Rx pins of the micro controller will have then TTL signal at UART, which is 0V and 5 V, right ? If I connect Tx and Rx of micro controller to RN4871, do I need level sifter because RN4871 is powered up by 3.3 V ?

Hi,

The Tx and Rx pins of the micro controller will have then TTL signal at UART, which is 0V and 5 V, right ?
--> no one can tell you without reading datasheets. Please try it on your own.

btw: TTL and it´s levels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transistor–transistor_logic

If I connect Tx and Rx of micro controller to RN4871, do I need level sifter because RN4871 is powered up by 3.3 V ?
please try to do like every electronics designer needs to do:
* read the datasheets
* find out what´s the expected output voltage HIGH/LOW (V_OH, V_OL)
* find out what´t the allowed input voltage range
* find out what´s the valid HIGH/LOW voltage range. (V_IH, V_IL)

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.