Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VCO uses no varicaps. How does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I do not remember where I have found this circuit but I was wondering how is that possible to provide a variable frequency?
I have never seen this capacitor configuration in the LC, usually a varactor is used in place not just fixed capacitors.
Maybe he exploits a property of these Y5V capacitors I am unaware of?
Or maybe it relates somehow to my older post https://www.edaboard.com/showthread...riable-capacitor&highlight=variable+capacitor

Attachments

• simple_vco_1.png
    simple_vco_1.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 136

Hi,

Y5V ceramics capacitors have a relatively large change in capacitance when there is DC voltage involved.

Every Y5V ceramics capacitor datasheet should show the behaviour.

Klaus

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

Y5V ceramics capacitors have a relatively large change in capacitance when there is DC voltage involved.

Every Y5V ceramics capacitor datasheet should show the behaviour.

Klaus

How interesting is that!
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/5527

I expect Y5Y to be terrible in temperature variations, so their use in HF VCOs LC circuits may not be suitable. However I have not tested it and maybe it is not much worse than a varicap...

Last edited:

I expect Y5Y to be terrible in temperature variations, so their use in HF VCOs LC circuits may not be suitable. However I have not tested it and maybe it is not much worse than a varicap...

Expect magnitudes worse! They are not particularly temperature or mechanically stable either. Note the oscillator in the schematic runs at maximum 3KHZ, scaled to HF the environmental effects would be disastrous.

I recently had to investigate a digital office telephone design that intermittently lost connection. The problem was a ceramic capacitor on the PCB that was part of a PLL loop filter. It worked perfectly for days on end when not making calls but would sometimes 'crash' when a number was being eyed in. The obvious culprit was a software bug in the dialing routine but it turned out to be the pressure of the keys being pressed was flexing the PCB and that ceramic capacitor was modulating the PLL and taking it out of lock. It was only running at 44KHz so you can imagine how fragile they would be at MHz frequencies.

Brian.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back