Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing LM311 and TTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljille

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This could seem basic, but I have trouble with an LM311 and TTL, please see ‘LM311_y_Shmitt.png’ to see diagram
With a LM311 comparator I’ve got a squared signal from a ICL8038 sinus signal, the squared very adequate to which I expected. It has some noise that I’d like not to have so I tried with some low pass filters but trying different values they lowered the signal into unwanted levels, so I thought that this noise was not so harmful. See ‘Salida_LM311.png’, where I’ve got 5.7V, a little bigger than TTL standard.

This signal is given to a shmitt trigger, 74LS14 (I have tried several chips of same number) but I had not an out signal. I looked for feeding or another possible mistakes, but I didn’t find any. As I know this component should give me a TTL standard, denied signal, but it gives me a plain low signal. See 'Salida_shmitt.png’. As this out is denied respect 'in' signal, it would be recognized as positive or high, still when high level of noise is lower than 0.5 V.
Then I tried putting the signal to an AND not inverting gate 74LS08 together with a squared 5V signal, but even when I have both high levels in some periods seen in the osciloscope (frequency of squared signal is 60 Hz), my result out of this gate is nothing.

Then I think:
Is there another requisite to interface an LM311 out to a TTL device that I am missing?
Do you see something in schematic who can avoid it to work? What am I missing?
I cutted one of the pull up resistances of 1Kohms connected to 5V to eliminate the case in which this would be influencing on the signal, but it only reduce amplitude of out signal of the LM311, while result in next stage is the same.
Do somebody see some way to make it work?
Thank you, very much

Luis Jiménez

Attachments

• LM311_y_Shmitt.png
    LM311_y_Shmitt.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Salida_LM311.png
    Salida_LM311.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Salida_Shmitt.png
    Salida_Shmitt.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 57

Hi,

It has some noise that I’d like not to have so I tried with some low pass filters but trying different values they lowered the signal into unwanted levels, so I thought that this noise was not so harmful.
Which noise exactly? Which filters exactly? at what node?

See ‘Salida_LM311.png’, where I’ve got 5.7V, a little bigger than TTL standard.
This 5.7V depend on ythe 5V supply.
So either
* the 5V are not 5.0V but 5.7V, or
* or the scope´s voltage measurement is wrong

his signal is given to a shmitt trigger, 74LS14 (I have tried several chips of same number) but I had not an out signal.
Usually the output of LM311 should be clean, thus I see no need for a schmitt trigger. But it may improve signal qualitiy. Nothing wrong with using it.
* We don´t see the LS14 power supply.
* in the real circuit you need to connect all unused schmit trigger inputs to true logic levels (VCC or GND) (Indeed not urgent for "LS" ICs, but you should keep on the rule not to leave any (unused ) input floating)

Use a two channel scope and measure at pin1 and pin2 at the same time. Note: apply the scope directly to the pins, not somewhere on your PCB. Don´t forget to properly connect scope_GND to logic_GND.

Btw: The noise you see is a problem of your design. I assume it´s no PCB with a solid GND-plane, it rather looks like a breadboard circuit.

Show all related schematic, not only a snippet.
Post a photo of your circuit with power supply and scope connections.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.