Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] LTC 4015 IC getting damaged when connecting battery sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoopathiS

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm using LTC4015 circuit for battery charging. I'm facing 2 issues with that.

Schematic :
LTC4015_IC.png

1. When connecting battery, sometimes LTC4015 getting damaged.

I understood that they are capacitor connected across battery, so due to transient behaviour it may happen. (Inrush current flow when capacitor acts like short circuit at the time of connecting battery).

Please check schematic, if you got any idea/observation, kindly share me.

2. Using 33mohm current sensing resistor, to restrict battery charge current to 1A(32mV/33mohm). but i observed more than 1A(2.4A). Even am changing resistor value, not observed any changes in current.

Hi,

It's not only the schematic that shows whether a circuit is operating correctly or not.
* additionally the PCB layout
* heat spreading
* wiring
* choosing suitable parts
* and other things influence the functionality

You talk about R9. Here you need a resistor that is suitable for HF, that means with low series stray inductance.
For example a "wire wound" resistor is not suitable.
Additionally for the R9 circuit to operate correctly you need a solid GND_plane, very short wiring of the power paths (from Mosfet to GND), and best a kelvin wiring to the IC. It's a critical part of the circuit.

There will be other critical parts in your circuit. Did you follow all the datasheet design considerations?

Klaus

Hi,

R9 part changed and C25, C27,C28 capcitor placement changed as per 4015 IC manufacturer recommendation. Issue got solved. Thanks for all your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back