Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Number of Clock Cycles vs Clock period tradeoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaushikrvs

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How does reducing number of clock cycles per instruction might increase the period of clock cycle? Can anyone please provide a clarity for this tradeoff?

I found this while reading the book Computer organization and design, RISC V edition, In the section 1.6 perfomance

How does reducing number of clock cycles per instruction might increase the period of clock cycle? Can anyone please provide a clarity for this tradeoff?

I found this while reading the book Computer organization and design, RISC V edition, In the section 1.6 perfomance

Pipelining. Simple concept.

Thanks for the reply. After trying to understand, I am still not convinced how does it result in increase of a clock cycle, Pipelining means that Fetch and Excute of instructions happen in parallel in the same clock cycle. Why do we need to increase clock period for that ?

Huh?

It's the opposite. Pipelining means doing less per clock cycle per instruction which means a faster clock rate (shorter period).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back