Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clocking issue with a design including xc7k410t FFG900

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdarvishi

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I am using Vivado 2017.3 and a Sundance board including a XC7K410T FFG900 Xilinx FPGA.

I have a block design that I have instantiated two clock signals in it, ref_clk that is connected to the PCIe reference clock pin of a AXI Memory Mapped to PCI Express module. Both clock signals are defined by defined by Tcl command for interface clock creation, and the sys_clk that is connected to the MIG 7 Series as shown below.

clock problem.png

My Tcl commands for clock generations are as follows:

Code:
# ---------- SYS_CLK for MIG 7 Series DDR3 SDRAM

create_bd_intf_port -mode Slave -vlnv xilinx.com:interface:diff_clock_rtl:1.0 sys_clk
connect_bd_intf_net [get_bd_intf_pins mig_7series_1/SYS_CLK] [get_bd_intf_ports sys_clk]

# ------------ ref_clk for PCIe module
create_bd_intf_port -mode Slave -vlnv xilinx.com:interface:diff_clock_rtl:1.0 ref_clk
connect_bd_net [get_bd_pins ref_clk_buf/IBUF_OUT] [get_bd_pins axi_pcie_0/REFCLK]

and here are the constraints that I have written in an XDC file for both clock siugnals:

Code:
# --- ref_clk (for PCIe)
set_property PACKAGE_PIN U8 [get_ports {ref_clk_clk_p[0]}]
set_property PACKAGE_PIN U7 [get_ports {ref_clk_clk_n[0]}]

# --- SYS_CLK
set_property PACKAGE_PIN K28 [get_ports {sys_clk_clk_p}]
set_property PACKAGE_PIN K29 [get_ports {sys_clk_clk_n}]

While Placement design the process fails and I receive the following Placement Error [Place 30-172]

Code:
[Place 30-172] Sub-optimal placement for a clock-capable IO pin and PLL pair. If this sub optimal condition is acceptable for this design, you may use the CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE constraint in the .xdc file to demote this message to a WARNING. However, the use of this override is highly discouraged. These examples can be used directly in the .xdc file to override this clock rule.
	< set_property CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE ANY_CMT_COLUMN [get_nets ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_ddr3_clk_ibuf/sys_clk_ibufg] >

ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_ddr3_clk_ibuf/diff_input_clk.u_ibufg_sys_clk (IBUFDS.O) is locked to IOB_X0Y174
	 ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_ddr3_infrastructure/plle2_i (PLLE2_ADV.CLKIN1) is locked to PLLE2_ADV_X1Y1

The above error could possibly be related to other connected instances. Following is a list of 
	all the related clock rules and their respective instances.

Clock Rule: rule_gclkio_bufg
	Rule Description: An IOB driving a BUFG must use a CCIO in the same half side (top/bottom) of chip
	as the BUFG
	 ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_ddr3_clk_ibuf/diff_input_clk.u_ibufg_sys_clk (IBUFDS.O) is locked to IOB_X0Y174
	 ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_iodelay_ctrl/clk_ref_200.u_bufg_clk_ref (BUFG.I) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y7

Clock Rule: rule_gclkio_mmcm_cdr_bb
	Rule Description: An IOB driving an MMCM must both be in the same column clock regions if CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE=BACKBONE
	is set
	 ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_iodelay_ctrl/clk_ref_mmcm_gen.mmcm_i (MMCME2_ADV.CLKIN1) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on MMCME2_ADV_X0Y6

Clock Rule: rule_mmcm_bufg
	Rule Description: An MMCM driving a BUFG must be placed on the same half side (top/bottom) of the device
	 ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_iodelay_ctrl/clk_ref_mmcm_gen.mmcm_i (MMCME2_ADV.CLKOUT1) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on MMCME2_ADV_X0Y6
	 ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_iodelay_ctrl/clk_ref_300_400_en.clk_ref_400.u_bufg_clk_ref_400 (BUFG.I) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y16

Clock Rule: rule_mmcm_mmcm
	Rule Description: An MMCM driving an MMCM must be in the same CMT column, and they are adjacent to
	each other (vertically), if the  CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE=BACKBONE constraint is NOT set
	 ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_iodelay_ctrl/clk_ref_mmcm_gen.mmcm_i (MMCME2_ADV.CLKFBOUT) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on MMCME2_ADV_X0Y6
	 ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_iodelay_ctrl/clk_ref_mmcm_gen.mmcm_i (MMCME2_ADV.CLKFBIN) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on MMCME2_ADV_X0Y6

Clock Rule: rule_pll_bufhce
	Rule Description: A PLL driving a BUFH must both be in the same horizontal row (clockregion-wise)
	 ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_ddr3_infrastructure/plle2_i (PLLE2_ADV.CLKOUT3) is locked to PLLE2_ADV_X1Y1
	 ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_ddr3_infrastructure/u_bufh_pll_clk3 (BUFH.I) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFHCE_X1Y12

Clock Rule: rule_bufh_bufr_ramb
	Rule Description: Reginal buffers in the same clock region must drive a total number of brams less
	than the capacity of the region
	 ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_ddr3_infrastructure/u_bufh_pll_clk3 (BUFH.O) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFHCE_X1Y12

Clock Rule: rule_bufhce_mmcm
	Rule Description: A BUFH driving an MMCM must both be in the same clock region
	 ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_ddr3_infrastructure/u_bufh_pll_clk3 (BUFH.O) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFHCE_X1Y12
	 ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_ddr3_infrastructure/gen_mmcm.mmcm_i (MMCME2_ADV.CLKIN1) is locked to MMCME2_ADV_X1Y1

Clock Rule: rule_mmcm_bufg
	Rule Description: An MMCM driving a BUFG must be placed on the same half side (top/bottom) of the device
	 ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_ddr3_infrastructure/gen_mmcm.mmcm_i (MMCME2_ADV.CLKFBOUT) is locked to MMCME2_ADV_X1Y1
	 and ublaze_i/mig_7series_1/u_ublaze_mig_7series_1_1_mig/u_ddr3_infrastructure/u_bufg_clkdiv0 (BUFG.I) is provisionally placed by clockplacer on BUFGCTRL_X0Y1

I have tries lots of scenarios and methods to solve this problem but it still does exist. I am really confused! Can anyone help me to solve this issue, please?

Kind helps are in advance appreciated.

Bests,

Are you making sure that the input clocks, ref_clk and sys_clk, are being fed from a clock capable pin?

If not then you may follow what Xilinx says:
Sub-optimal placement for a clock-capable IO pin and PLL pair. If this sub optimal condition is acceptable for this design, you may use the CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE constraint in the .xdc file to demote this message to a WARNING. However, the use of this override is highly discouraged. These examples can be used directly in the .xdc file to override this clock rule.

set_property CLOCK_DEDICATED_ROUTE FALSE [.......]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back