Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gate driver outputs "Zero amps"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihaludeen

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on 3-phase inverter circuit.

I am using IR2110 to switch high and low side MOSFETs. Each MOSFET's gate is connected to the high/low side pins of driver IC. When I apply the PWM input to the gate driver, the MOSFET switches and the circuit works fine. I connected to the load (motor), the motor runs OK.

When I try to check the gate current of the MOSFET (that is, from driver IC output pin to the MOSFET's gate), I notice that zero amps is flowing to the gate. But how?

I am biasing the gate driver IC with 12 volts and I used a 30 ohm resistor in the gate terminal,

I = 12V/30 = 400mA

But when I measure the current it shows "0 amp". I also changed the value from 30 ohms to 10 ohms. But no change, so I think I am wrong somewhere.
Please correct me.
I attached the image which is taken from tamid blog, Which works good (Gate driver circuit)
images.png

Hi,

How do you measure it? DVM?
What setup? DC_average?
Where do you think the current should flow?
* The gate is high resistance. The capacitance causes only relatively small AC current.
* then there is only a 1k resistor...

--> average DC: I_DC = 12V * duty_cycle / (1k + 10R)

Klaus

But when I measure the current it shows "0 amp". I also changed the value from 30 ohms to 10 ohms. But no change, so I think I am wrong somewhere.

Look at the circuit diagram closely; the gate is a small capacitor.

To turn on, the gate must have some charge and voltage. Like a capacitor, the charge flows only when you turn on and off.

If you want to turn off the mosfet fast, you must pump in the required charge in a short time. That means a large current flows for a short time. Same is the case when you want to turn off the MOSFET.

Because the current lasts for only a short time, it is tricky to measure. It is more convenient to use an oscilloscope to see the voltages.

You cannot measure the transient currents with a DVM.

That is a current will flow to gate in vera short time , to charge the mosfet gate cap.Right?
- Then how much current will flow to gate in short time. I'm my circuit for 12volt
- So i could use 10ohm or even lower one.

Not only is the gate current transient, it is reversing with
a net zero charge across the cycle and on average.

So the DMM reading is right, as far as it goes.

and here is a sim in ltspice...you run it and you see the current of you press ALT-left click

Attachments

• Boost.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 45

Status
Not open for further replies.