Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] .h and .c files (driver level files) for the fpga embedded c programming availabiliy

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivekraj

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
where do i get the .h and .c files (driver files) for my fpga for embedded c programming ? Do the vendor provide them or do we have to write them by our self?
I am going to get a xilinx board and I want to blink the led or use 7 segment display. Do I need to write register level code for basic operations or will xilinx provide some device specific header files?

Interesting questions.
It looks like you want to program FPGA chip, but you only know how to use C language.
Before I could help you, please answer following questions:
1. What Xilinx's board are you going to get?
2. It it Zynq based or pure FPGA?
3. Have you heard about Microblaze?
4. Have you heard about HLS or SDSoC Development Environment?

where do i get the .h and .c files (driver files) for my fpga for embedded c programming ?
You have to write them for whatever application you are going to run on the FPGA.

Do the vendor provide them or do we have to write them by our self?
The vendor provides some example designs which you can initially use to understand how a h/w-s/w design implementation flow for FPGA works. They definitely won't have them for your custom application.

I am going to get a xilinx board and I want to blink the led or use 7 segment display. Do I need to write register level code for basic operations or will xilinx provide some device specific header files?
That is an easy application and you don't need a processor to run some C code that will control 7 seg displays. It can be done using by defining the functionality in RTL, generating the bitstream and programing the FPGA with the bitstream.

Hi,

.h and .c files are for software.
But to program the functions of an FPGA you use a hardware description language (HDL).

--> You have to think like designing hardware, not like writing software.

Klaus

Hi,

.h and .c files are for software.
But to program the functions of an FPGA you use a hardware description language (HDL).

--> You have to think like designing hardware, not like writing software.

Klaus

This is true, but you can use system generator to create the hardware platform for you graphically (driven underneath by HDL, but invisible to the user). Then the OP can write pure .h and .c code.

During my school course, we used some predefined C functions which performed some high-level operations in fpga components. Functions like setting the seven segment display by sending the hex values as argument directly. We did not program them by shifting and masking register and stuff. Similarly, we had many functions for other components too. I want to know whether these library files were provided by the fpga vendor or my school made them for education purpose.

I have good knowledge in hardware side (tool -vivado hls) but have very little idea in software.

I will be working on pure FPGA with microblaze.

During my school course, we used some predefined C functions which performed some high-level operations in fpga components. Functions like setting the seven segment display by sending the hex values as argument directly. We did not program them by shifting and masking register and stuff. Similarly, we had many functions for other components too. I want to know whether these library files were provided by the fpga vendor or my school made them for education purpose.

I have good knowledge in hardware side (tool -vivado hls) but have very little idea in software.

I will be working on pure FPGA with microblaze.

The C and H files were likely provided by the school, but if they were using a dev board they could have been taken from some example design.

ok, the put in a uBlaze, write the C code to be run on it which will drive the 7 segment displays.
Yes you have to write the .c and .h

For Zynq and uBlaze, when you create some Xilinx's AXI peripherals, after building the design you can export hardware definition to the hardware description file (.hdf file) used in the SDK.
SDK can read .hdf file and then create Board Support Package (BSP).
BSP contains c. and .h files (drivers). It also contains documentation and examples for almost every (if not for every) Xilinx's AXI peripheral.
Also look at the xparameters.h file, where you will find defined addresses in AXI space, that are used as arguments for some driver's functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back