Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing Capacitor (Ceramic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiwari.sachin

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using the connections as attached.

The part is a printer and it works on 8V (Consider) and the current drawn depends on what we print. If its all black print, it will draw more current and less current if its only text so on (Depending on strobe activated each time)

Maximum it can take is 2.5Amps/stobe and to acheive max we activate 3 strobes (example) so the worst case maximum current will be 7.5A. (there could be surges etc while printing which is very difficult to see on a CRO I have and I am infact not even sure if it exists)

The ceramic capacitors works fine but after a period of time (Few days or months), the capacitor is short and we need to replace.

What could be the possible reasons for this? Am I selecting a wrong capacitor or is it something else that can cause this.

The capacitor used is X5R

Attachments

• 47uF.png
    47uF.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 117

Hi,

possible reasons for ceramics capacitor failures:
* overvoltage - even spikes. Maybe at turn ON or turn OFF, or other situations. --> use overvoltage protection devices, or capacitors with higher voltage rating
* mechanical stress. Either vibrations or during soldering. Thermal stress --> keep on soldering recommendations and temperature chart
* chemical problems, like flux residuals --> try with usual cleaning. If problem persists use ultrasonic cleaning. (Take care that all other parts are allowed for ultrasonic cleaning)

Klaus

You can observe the capacitor temperature in continuous operation to be sure that it's no overcurrent problem. But maximum of about 2 Arms per capacitor sounds fair. I'm rather sure that you won't notice capacitor heating. Mechanical stress and inappropriate solder processing seems more likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back