Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Misbehaving thyristor with ltspice simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Trying to simulate circuit with a thyristor in it. I am unsure why thyristor isn't conducting far more current. I guess its because I haven't any experience simulating 3rd party thyristors and I don't know spice to find issues.

Greatly appriciated.

Attachments

• circuits.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 162

Hi,

Can't you simply show the simulation and it's results?

Klaus

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Don't need this simulation.

First issue is wrong SCR connection (A-K flipped), second issue is different pin order of Ltspice SCR symbol (A-G-K) and SCR model file (A-K-G). Also a real SCR should be never triggered by an unlimited voltage source.

pulser.PNG

After fixing this points, the actual circuit problems reveal. Most serious problem is that the SCR is never extinguished after being triggered once.

Zak28

...by an unlimited voltage source...

Source had series resistance to imitate choke.

...never extinguished after being triggered once...
I will use an IRFP4668 fet to dump cap energy into coil instead of SCR. However I did get the scr model to work by simply rearranging pins.

I would really appreciate if someone would let me know whether the fet is up for the task. AFAIK exceeds circuit demands which is ~120amp spike ~8ms long.
**broken link removed**

Attachments

• IRFP4668.pdf
    287.4 KB · Views: 131

Hi

I would really appreciate if someone would let me know whether the fet is up for the task. AFAIK exceeds circuit demands which is ~120amp spike ~8ms long.

Usually there is an SOA chart in the datasheet. There you should find the answer.

Klaus

Zak28

Zak28

...an SOA...

I know very well what an SOA is but Im confused about load parameters. Presently I measure very negligible volts & amps yet the fet dissipates ~4watts on average when discharging the cap @ 11hz which is confusing. What coordinates do I reference on the SOA? Are measured parameters correct?

issue.png

Greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Are measured parameters correct?
Are you talking about "measured" or "simulated" currents?

A simulation result is only as good as the informations you input in the simulation tool.
Thus I already recommended to use realistic values and a realistic circuit.

--> you used an "unrealistic" ideal switch not taking care about voltage_drop and not taking care about switch_off_conditions.
Thus I've already talked about "useless" simulation.

And there are other unrealistic things in your system: ideal capacitor, maybe the power supply, gate current limitation....

I almost never use simulations. I mostly rely on the datasheet specifications and on the application informations.
This doesn't mean that simulations are useless. You can play around with varying part values without the risk of explosion and fire. And it gives a "visual" idea about voltage and current waveforms.

Especiall the switch OFF behavior of an SCR makes that the waveform stops when the current becomes zero.
But with a Mosfet you may expect the current going negative .... causing ringing.

Klaus

Zak28

It's easy to see that the discharge current waveform is defined by circuit LRC, in so far it's realistic, if the assumed circuit parameters are correct.

You did not show the related simulation circuit, I presume it's similar to the post #1 circuit, replacing the SCR with a MOSFET. Presume also you notice the high flyback diode current, should use a 5 or 10A rectifier diode.

Zak28

Hi,

In simulations, I got caught out a month or two ago: The 5457 JFET model is great, works well because the simulations are very similar in the real world with real components and circuit conditions - however, I forgot to check what VGSth off the JFET model had set. It was -1.37V. My two little test boards all had JFETs with -2.7, -1.7, -2.3, -2.8. The test boards were for voltage sources that depended on a specific current which depends entirely on the JFET VGSth off which sets a dubious but workable voltage regulation - they were all like the simulation but none were like the exact transistor in the simulations so not one of the references was the voltage required... You live and learn. Design for worst case manufacturing parameters - imagine something turning on when you'd thought it should be off based on real-world manufacturing variations and minute differences in e.g. gate/base voltages and temperature affecting that.

Zak28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back