Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] AMD or Intel for engineering PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C_mitra speaks wisely. The CPU is only part of the issue so to a large degree the answer depends on the whole computer architecture. Also bear in mind that PCs are general purpose computers and run a wide variety of operating systems and programs so a direct comparison is difficult. When I hear people singing the praises of AMD though, they use their computers almost entirely for gaming, not engineering and I think the AMD chips are optimized in that direction rather than across a broader range of uses. Personally, I'm staying with Intel on all my 'work' machines although I do have an AMD based laptop (given to me by someone who gave up with it and upgraded to Intel!).

Brian.
Running Ubuntu or Kubuntu 18.04 on all machines.

My friends at IMST run a large simulation cluster for electromagnetic analysis using both Intel and AMD machines. For entry level CPUs, they like the AMD Ryzen for its performance/cost ratio.

AMD processors are quite prone to dusty and hot temperature. And from where you belong, it is better to use Intel Processor in your PC. Increase your RAM to 16GB and use hard disk with good data transfer rate

At least with a lap-top you don't have to start with your graphics cards and work backwards !!

FWIW, if you have ample RAM and core threads, you can add an external USB graphics module and display to side-step several work-flow issues...

Thank you for your responses.

Finally I got an Intel I5 7200U. Running with a sataIII SSD disk and Windows 10 64 bit, I have a really good experience, very fast response and 20 seconds to boot.

When I use VM for Linux the RAM fills up to nearly 70%, glad I bought the 8GB version PC. It's been 4 months now using it, and everything is going ok.

Glad to know that you are happy with your new laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back