+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Planning to purchase PIC development board

I am Planning to purchase PIC development board. I am looking help to get good one. I saw some online board but I am confused with exactly what need to make starting project.

This is board planning to purchase (first image )www.nskelectronics.com/development_boards-1.html

Programmer( (first image ) ) nskelectronics.com/programmers-1.html

I think I need MPLEBcompiler for PIC16F877A. I am stuck with cable. Do I need to buy usb to rs232 cable to connect board with PC

Please someone help me to get the correct cable and tell me how to program with that programmer
    Last edited by KlausST; 12th March 2018 at 18:22. Reason: corrected links

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4332 / 4332
    Level

Re: Planning to purchase PIC development board

Your web links do not work - server not found error!

However, I would suggest you do NOT buy a PIC development board, instead just by a small general purpose prototyping board. The PIC devices are so simple to use that you will find you 'outgrow' a dedicated board very quickly.

I WOULD suggest you buy a Pickit3, preferably a genuine one although most clones will work. Many of the other programmer units will be unreliable or not work at all. You will find you eventually buy a real Pickit just to get over the frustration of mis-programmed or damaged parts!

You can download MPLABX for free from Microchips web site, it will work with all Microchip devices. if you want to compile programs in 'C', you also need one of the 'XC' compilers which are also free to download. The one for all the 16F and 18F PICs is called 'XC8'.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster 3rd Helpful Member

Helped
    3448 / 3448
    Level

Hi,

I´ve just corrected the links. Now they should work.

Klaus
    Please don´t contact me via PM, because there is no time to respond to them. No friend requests. Thank you.

•   AltAdvertisement

Full Member level 5

Helped
    5 / 5
    Level

Do you want to use 8bit pic, 16 bit or 32?

I'd suggest you doing this project:
    https://chipkit.net/diy-chipkit-board/
    great for start, entirely THT and breadboard friendly, USB interface, Arduino-like IDE programming with bootloader or just like any other pic with pickit3

Junior Member level 1

Helped
    3 / 3
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by ansh11 View Post
    I am Planning to purchase PIC development board. I am looking help to get good one. I saw some online board but I am confused with exactly what need to make starting project.

This is board planning to purchase DEV-201

Programmer PICkit2 clone

I think I need MPLAB compiler for PIC16F877A. I am stuck with cable. Do I need to buy USB to rs232 cable to connect board with PC

Please someone help me to get the correct cable and tell me how to program with that programmer
    Shopping with NSK electronics suggest that you may be in south Asia perhaps India.

These are better links to the products you may consider purchasing:
    DEV-201 PIC Development Board ICSP Compatible, Price: INR 650.00, USD 10.01(*)
    PICkit3 clone PICKIT 3 Programmer / Debugger, Price: INR 1,900.00, USD 29.26(*)
    PICkit2 clone PICKIT 2 Programmer / Debugger, Price: INR 1,400.00, USD 21.56(*)

Notes: (*) 1 Indian Rupee = 0.015 US Dollar

You will need a USB to RS232 serial converter to use the serial port on the DEV-201 board.

The downloads available form the NSK site are old and may be hard to get working with MLPABX.

Get the PICkit3 if you can afford it.

•   AltAdvertisement

Full Member level 3

Helped
    35 / 35
    Level

Why do you want to work with PICs? In my opinion that family soon will be obsolete and Microchip will jump into ARM family.

--[[ ]]--