+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

How to control stepper motor rotation using voltage

Hello all,

I have designed a voltmeter circuit to measure 0 to 5V. I want to display the output on analog display that is, using dial display. For this I plan to use stepper motor to move pointer to correct position. The setup looks as shown in image: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x25 motor.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	143826. I have written a program to rotate the motor depending on the voltage measured. It doesn't show any error in compilation but when I try to execute the pointer does not move as it should. I have checked voltmeter circuit and it is fine.

The code snippet is attached hereprogram.pdfprogram.pdfClick image for larger version. 

Name:	x25 motor.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	143826.

Regards
    Srinidhi

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    12961 / 12961
    Level

Re: How to control stepper motor rotation using voltage

The stepper pulse pattern doesn't seem to match the hardware configuration (motor connected by 3 wires). Show your circuit schematic and motor datasheet.

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    3872 / 3872
    Level

Indeed, the software seems to output 4 unipolar signals which would require 5 connections to the motor (4 + supply) so how do you have it wired with only 3?

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

•   Alt8th January 2018, 14:29

advertising

Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by FvM View Post
    The stepper pulse pattern doesn't seem to match the hardware configuration (motor connected by 3 wires). Show your circuit schematic and motor datasheet.
    Below attached is the circuit schematic. Output of voltage divider is given to an ADC pin of Atmega16. stepper motor is connected to micro-controller via L293D motor driver.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Voltmeter 2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	143842

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster 3rd Helpful Member

Helped
    2865 / 2865
    Level

Hi,

Your circuit:

GND symbols aren't expensive. Use them to avoid lengthy GND wiring...this makes the whole circuit more easy to read.

Klaus
    Please don´t contact me via PM, because there is no time to respond to them. No friend requests. Thank you.

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    12961 / 12961
    Level

Let me put it this way: The circuit schematic (controlling 3 of 4 L293 outputs with connected bipolar stepper motor) neither fits the code (controlling 4 outputs PB1 - PB4) nor the stepper motor photo.

What did you actually test?

•   Alt10th January 2018, 00:04

advertising

Advanced Member level 5

Helped
    598 / 598
    Level

Stepper motors have more than three wires: your photo shows only three wires.

I do not know how L293 is being used as a stepper motor driver.

Is your motor BLDC type? Then you will need motors with Hall sensors or encoders...

Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

It is stepper motor X-25. Datasheets of these motors are hard to find. one of the datasheet I found is attached below.X25 datasheet.pdf

Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

I referred to the following webpage for interfacing stepper motor, l293d and amicro-controller: http://rickruling.blogspot.in/2013/1...tor-using.html

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    12961 / 12961
    Level

I referred to the following webpage for interfacing stepper motor, l293d and amicro-controller: http://rickruling.blogspot.in/2013/1...tor-using.html
    Not exactly. There's one phase missing in your schematic and the code is accessing the wrong port bits, PB1 - PB4 instead of PB0 - PB3. Also the 3 wire stepper motor photo seems confusing. Is it actually a 3-phase motor (very unusual, but possible)?

•   Alt11th January 2018, 08:31

advertising

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    3872 / 3872
    Level

The motor puzzles me too. Note that the shaft is off center, that usually means there is a gearing mechanism inside it. It certainly doesn't look like a stepper motor and if it is a 3-phase AC motor I've never seen one so small and I can't think of a practical application for one that size.

Drmius, can you show us more information about the motor or at least upload a picture of the other side showing any markings on the connections.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

Newbie level 6

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by betwixt View Post
    The motor puzzles me too. Note that the shaft is off center, that usually means there is a gearing mechanism inside it. It certainly doesn't look like a stepper motor and if it is a 3-phase AC motor I've never seen one so small and I can't think of a practical application for one that size.

Drmius, can you show us more information about the motor or at least upload a picture of the other side showing any markings on the connections.

Brian.
    Below attached is the datasheet on X-25 motor. Basically these are stepper motors used by GM for instrument Clusters.

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    3872 / 3872
    Level

That explains what it is but not why you only have three connections to it when it needs four.

Beware of visiting Junken's web site, it pops up a "Windows Defender" virus alert and warns me not to shut my computer down and to call a support phone number immediately. The funny thing is - I use Linux!

Brian.

--[[ ]]--