Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Which Photo is carrier Leakage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

criterion456

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI,

image001.png
image003.png
image005.png

As shown above, there is carrier leakage caused by a DC offset in I/Q signal.
And, in terms of spectrum, the carrier leakage component is at the center of signal.

Nevertheless,
image007.png

As shown above, in terms of spectrum, the carrier leakage component is between image and signal.

I’m confused.

In terms of spectrum, why are the locations of the 2 carrier leakage components are different ?
One is at the center of signal, and the other one is between image and signal.

Thanks a lot~!!

As shown above, there is carrier leakage caused by a DC offset in I/Q signal.
And, in terms of spectrum, the carrier leakage component is at the center of signal.
This image shows a spectrum from a direct conversion modulator.
Nevertheless,
View attachment 142208

As shown above, in terms of spectrum, the carrier leakage component is between image and signal.
This is from an intermediate frequency SSB modulator.

In terms of spectrum, why are the locations of the 2 carrier leakage components are different ?
The carrier leakage it always at the LO frequency. For an IF modulator, the signal is modulated into a sideband, away from the LO. In a direct conversion modulator, there are no sidebands, so the signal sits on top of the LO. This is one of the advantages of SSB modulation.

You are comparing completely different modulation scenarios.

First picture describes I/Q modulation with baseband signal, second picture is SSB modulation with frequency offset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back