Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7483 adder circuit error chip get hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can we connect the the 7483 adder circuit 0 as direct gnd in 5V and 0V circuit?
or with pull down of 5kohms ?

Attachments

• adder.jpg
    adder.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 108

Hi,

Not clear what you mean. Show your complete circuit.
What is "circuit 0"?

General rules:
* don't leave any input pin floating
* pull it to a valid logic level (read datasheet)
* you may use a resistor or direct connect to VCC or GND.

Klaus

Not clear what you mean. Show your complete circuit.
What is "circuit 0"?

i have 5V powers supply i have connected no resistance in between directly to power source for logic 1 5V to pins and for 0logic to directly gnd there was no output and chip was hot

Hi,

You forgot to post your schematic...
And your description is incomplete and vague..

Impossible to give a good answer.

Klaus

Let me clarify some of the recommendations from previous posts.

Connect VCC pin-5 to 5V directly don't use a resistor.
Connect GND pin-12 directly to Ground (0V) don't use a resistor.

Connect all inputs to either a pull-up (to 5V) or pull-down (to GND) depending on what you want the device to do. Do not leave them floating with power applied, this can make the device get hot as it can partially turn on the transistors from 5V to GND so they continually dissipate power.

A small point, a 74 device should always have its unused inputs either conected directly to ground or pulled up to 5v via a 4.7K resistor as required. You should not pull up a input by connecting it directly to the 5V. The reason for this is that a 74 device has a maximum input voltage of 5.5V where as the 5V could be as high as 7V. On other 74 types such as LS, F, AC etc the resistor is not needed and you can directly conect the input to 5V.
The 7483 does run quite warm and can get hot if in an unventilated position.

74xx and I are old, we run hot. The maximum supply current for an SN7483A at 5V is 110mA so the heating is 5V x 110mA= 0.55W.
74HCxx and my grandson are young and run cool.

Connect all inputs to either a pull-up (to 5V) or pull-down (to GND) depending on what you want the device to do.

ok i was not connecting the pull up and pull down i have connected directly to vcc and gnd

Status
Not open for further replies.