Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

supply sequencing in Low Power ASICs and On Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcnvcc

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Before my question this is the assumption
- I am assuming Supply sequencing is same - within ASIC which has many power domains, and within ICs which are sitting on Board.

1. What is the need of supply sequencing within ASIC which has multiple power domains.
2. If we don't follow it what are the violations?
3. How to catch them during ASIC development?
3.a Which TOOL will catch it?

4. Very Imp for me - IF you have come across such situation - please share your valuable inputs..

Thank you..

first and foremost, the power sequence that matters the most is the one imposed by the IOs. Sometimes you have to turn the reference before the output stage source, sometimes order doesn't matter. But usually the order goes reference voltage (IO, something like 1.8V), output stage voltage (something like 2.5/3.3V), and then core (0.8/1V generally).

The multiple power domains internal to the chip are as complicated as you design them. Reset order matters, control signaling matters, etc. The worst case scenario would be a temporary glitch on some control signal that enables a power configuration that is not valid, drawing too much power or worse. Power related verification is the way to go, through simulation of power domain switching and through careful definition of the power mode constraints/intent. No tool will 'catch it' if you don't exercise it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back