Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

JN5168 Microcontroller Start-Up / in-rush current problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabbar81

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using MeshBee module having JN5168 microcontroller. I am having problem with the MeshBee module start-up (cold-start) current consumption.
The MeshBee module consumes a large current spike, as seen in the attached oscilloscope screenshots.
Can anyone guide, why this is happening?
This happen, when power is applied, and also when the MeshBee is Reset manually by the button.
I tried the changes in the default MeshBee code, simple while(1) codeor sleep after main AppColdStart() function, but couldn't solve it.
I think it has to do something with the hardware.
Hardware is very simple, MeshBee Module directly connected with the battery via On/OFF (Single Pole Double Through) switch. this happens with or without a Reset switch.
I also tried powering the module with external power supply, the same current spike is always observed.
Changing the module also didn't help.

Can it be due to missing power supply capacitor near the Jn5168 chip?

Waiting for anyone suggestion.

scope_7.pngscope_8.pngMesh Bee v1.0.sch_modified.jpg

In-rush current at startup is usually caused by high capacitance of the driven circuit.
But what makes you think there's a problem? Do you see something not functioning properly ?

Hi,

This peak makes me think that you have too small bulk capacitor at VCC.
I recommend a fast decoupling capacitor at each VCC pin of each IC and additionally a big bulk capacitor.

I just see the RESET capacitor that may cause a high current peak, because there is no current limiting resistor.
The problem especially here is, that the high current peak is at the VCC node.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.