Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog reading by ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

a8811323

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Here is the problem I have. If I have a near square wave signal biasing at 0V with +-3V and this signal is feeding into ADC with reference voltage 0 to 3.3V.
What I interest is the only peak magnitude value of square wave (the negative part is actually not interested). Can I do so? Will this negative part signal will affect the circuit and reading?

Normal guidelines state that inputs should not be exposed to a voltage outside the supply rails. There are diode arrangements that can block a negative waveform from reaching your input.

Hi,

That would depend on whether the ADC is set up to accept negative-going signals. The "Auto-ranging DMM" pdf has an example of a precision rectifier - which sounds like the thing you want; the second pdf is a handy reference for all manner of set-up.

Attachments

• Building an Auto-Ranging DMM an028 Intersil.pdf
    149.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Buffer Op Amp to ADC Circuit Collection sloa098.pdf
    336.4 KB · Views: 114

Hi,

If the ADC will survive, and if the ADC will operate correctly is written in the datasheet.

Klaus

No. Don't do it.

First perform a level-shift and then divide the input voltage.
This can be done by applying superposition techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.