Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I replace a led for a solid state relay on a led vu meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johanx2

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, does anybody know how sensitive are these little components (solid state relay)? I was thinking about if they can be triggered just by the small energy that a led vumeter circuit uses to turn on a regular led. I want to replace the leds for solid state relays instead, so I can switch much bigger leds in a simple way. I definitely will not use them if they need some transistor drivers in order to be excited, in that case, I instead can drive the bigger leds with some transistor drivers and forget about those relays, which is my second plan.

Although I don't know, maybe I would use the transistors to drive the big leds. (I need about 2-3A for led), would you recommend tip41 transistor? will it run cold?

Attachments

• s-l56561600.jpg
    s-l56561600.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 80

If you read the side of the component, it tells you right there: INPUT 12 VDC. If you extend yourself a little further, you can look up the data sheet for the part and find out how much current you actually need on the input.

Hi,

SSR datasheet should say min. to max. voltage for LED. e.g. another is 3 - 10V to turn on LED, 3A/200VDC out, and derate sensibly. Given that BJTs can have a far lower turn-on voltage than an LED, the SSR seems unnecessary (and expensive), a signal BJT to turn on a power BJT will be far more economical. You'd likely still need a heatsink for the TIPxx for 2 - 3A.

I found SSRs respond quickly both on and off. Sensitivity: again, you'd need to check the datasheet for turn-on parameters and compare to a regular LED, but it is just an LED and a MOSFET in a sealed package.

I see, after all I think I will use some IRF530, thanks.

You can also replace the LED with an optocoupler and turn on a rocket to the moon with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back