Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

40x4 Lcd Not Working Help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

but it is not working.

Where is the problem ?

We have to ask: Where is the problem?

Is the power supply correct?
Is the current consumption correct?
Is the communcation correct? (readback)
Does it get hot?
Maybe the display is all black, or all clear, or do you see black bars, or is it dim?

Or a thousand other questions.

--> Learn to give useful informations.

Klaus

Hi KlausSt

At present I am only testing in Proteus. I have also the hardware 40x4 LCD. This is the display I am having.

ERM4004SBS-1

https://www.buydisplay.com/default/character-display/40x4-character

I am attaching the original mikroBasic project. I compiled it and tested it and it works fine in Proteus. It was tested by the author on hardware. See images.

What mistake I have done in porting the code ?

Attachments

• 1423475647_i_have_to_connec_mikrobasic_pic.rar
    51.4 KB · Views: 38
  • lcdo.png
    lcdo.png
    275.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    21 KB · Views: 61

Hi,

Displays are working. So, where is the problem?

Klaus

@KlausST

The working pictures are from original mikroBasic Project. My ported project is mikroC PRO PIC project. My project is not working. It prints test in wrong lines and half of 1st and 3rd lines remain blank.

Hi,

Nice, that you show us the working displays from another project...But this doesn´t help anybody.

My project is not working. It prints test in wrong lines and half of 1st and 3rd lines remain blank.
... finally a pice of error description.

Why don´t you show us a photo of the "display with error"?

Klaus

Hi Okada;

. Seems your particular 40x4 LCD uses a different line addressing. Your wrote that it prints something (OK, in wrong lines but it can print characters), therefore the initializing is working, 'only' the line addressing is wrong.

. Try to modify the functions LCD_Red_Poz_Out_1 (and 2) and if need, also the function LCD_Chr. You need to experiment with them, or search for your LCD's datasheet which contains also the exact line addressing.

. Study this site:
**broken link removed**
. and this thread:
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/331611/#post1416183

Regards
zuisti

Here is the picture.

Addressing is correct. I have set the address in Proteus to

0x80-0xA7
0xC0-0xE7
0x80-0xA7
0xC0-0xE7

Attachments

• 40x4 lcd error.png
    40x4 lcd error.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 59

Hi,

I assume the configuration of the two controllers is wrong.
The datasheet should show how they have to be configured. Either 2 x 40, or 4 x 20 mode.

There are other threads discussing problems with 40x4 displays.
Look at the box "similar threads" below.

Klaus

I again ported the original mikroBasic PRO PIC code to mikroC PRO PIC and changed a few delays and it suddenly started working. Here is the working project. Proteus file is included.

Attachments

• LCD 40x4 4-Bit Interface.rar
    59.8 KB · Views: 48
  • LCD 40x4 4-Bit Interface.png
    LCD 40x4 4-Bit Interface.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 56

Status
Not open for further replies.