Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with accessing interal RAM of cyclone II fpga

Status
Not open for further replies.

PieterDeMan

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello my friend of beautiful forum of EDABOARD.

I am a poor student who has not many money, I need to buy cheap FPGA so I buy cheap cyclone II from the ebay.
Now I need to access it's RAM because I need to use it's memory. The only problem is how to do this.
So can you help me my friend? I have no clue on how to access this memory from my fpga. I only need a little bit, can you help my friend?

FPGA RAM is accessed just like any other RAM, you supply it address, data, write strobe for writing and address, read enable to read data.

You should download the documentation for the Cycone II from Altera/Intel's website.

OK, I assume that you are writing VHDL. Actually the best course of action is to read the user manual of the software you are using which is most likely the Alera Quartus II. Get it from the Altera website itself so you get the latest one and not any other website.

I will get straight to the point. You want to access the internal RAM, ok. The internal RAM is made up of "hard memory block" i.e actual section of silicon that are only used as memory resource in a design. When you open the Altera Quartus and create project, you get the IP catalog on the right, yes?

Now search in this IP catalog goto Library->Basic Functions->On Chip Memory. Now select the RAM and select its parameters i.e how much data it stores e.t.c. You will also have option to include or exclude certain control signals. Once that is done and you have created an IP block, then you can just access it and use it in the design by providing it with address and control signals.

Also: the latest version of Quartus that supports Cyclone II is 13.0, released a few years ago.
Don't let that deter you, though: those ebay Cyclone boards are useful and I've had a lot of fun with them

You did not reply with result of your experiment PieterDeMen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back