Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Calculate Power conversion Efficiency of RF rectifer in Cadence virtuoso

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadikaram

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Generally Efficiency = (Pout/Pin)*100, here i give the input power using port (-20dbm = its equal to 0.01mw power ). So i know the input power, and output power calculated using P= V*I formula. If in this method i calculated the efficiency become too low.. I would like to know, whether this method is right or wrong...?

Thanks.

Generally Efficiency = (Pout/Pin)*100,
here i give the input power using port (-20dbm = its equal to 0.01mw power ).
So i know the input power
Wrong.
You know available power not input power to rectifier.

If conjugate matching is satisfied, input power to rectifier will be equal to available power.
Otherwise, input power to rectifier < available power.

Last edited:

Yes., I agree. But it is matched (s11=-16db) at operating frequency. Beyond this, is that method right..!

Hi,

Generally Efficiency = (Pout/Pin)*100, here i give the input power using port (-20dbm = its equal to 0.01mw power ). So i know the input power, and output power calculated using P= V*I formula. If in this method i calculated the efficiency become too low.. I would like to know, whether this method is right or wrong...?

Thanks.
You ignore one important thing..
You can not calculate the power as in Ohm's law because it's not %100 real signals and you forget reactive power.In order to calculate the power you should use this..

Power=1/2*Re{V.I*} or 1/2Re{V*.I}

1. plot the magnitude input power, then plot magnitude output power.
Then calculate efficiency.

https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/7805977000_1478326274.jpg
Why do you apply dbm() for input and output powers ?
Don't apply dbm().

Efficiency is defined like following.
pvi('pss, "/net03" 0, "/IPRB0/PLUS" 0, 0) / pvi('pss, "/net4" 0, "/IPRB1/PLUS" 0, 1) * 100

Here
pvi('pss, "/net4" 0, "/IPRB1/PLUS" 0, 1) is an input power in Watts.

pvi('pss, "/net03" 0, "/IPRB0/PLUS" 0, 0) is an output power in Watts.

Strictly speaking, above defintion of input power is wrong since you do floating driving of rectifier.

You have to calculate both input powers of plus and minus to rectifier.

Above pvi('pss, "/net4" 0, "/IPRB1/PLUS" 0, 1) is plus input power.

Actual input power to rectifier is:
pvi('pss, "/net4p" 0, "/IPRB1p/PLUS" 0, 1) + pvi('pss, "/net4m" 0, "/IPRB1m/PLUS" 0, 1)

or

pvi('pss, "/net4p" "/net4m", "/IPRB1p/PLUS" 0, 1)

Attachments

• 161105-183226.png
    161105-183226.png
    57 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

Actual input power to rectifier is:
pvi('pss, "/net4p" 0, "/IPRB1p/PLUS" 0, 1) + pvi('pss, "/net4m" 0, "/IPRB1m/PLUS" 0, 1)

Is this because of Differential end circuit..! If in-case of single end circuit, the equation will be
pvi('pss, "/net4p" 0, "/IPRB1p/PLUS" 0, 1). Is it right..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back